Everly songs

I do like to hear Crystal Gayle sing, I/we have an album of hers which I bought for my husband many years ago for our "Crystal Wedding Anniversary", he was quite surprised but loved it and it is a lovely memory we share often now.

I will come back to this version later Gloria and play it for my husband.

My goodness Crystal does look gorgeous in the photo you posted Gloria.
Last update on August 11, 9:39 am by Chris.
Page 48 #717 Ricardo has listed a few versions of "Barbara Allen" if no one has listened to the 'Ye Vagabonds' yet, it is amazing how they get the sound from years gone by. It transported me back from how songs are portrayed being sung 100-200 years ago.

"Ye Vagabonds" are brothers Diarmuid and Brian MacGloinn from Ireland.

Thanks for this link Ricardo, here it is again.

Last update on August 11, 5:46 pm by Chris.
Attachments
The "Ye Vagabonds" video (#722) honors the tradition of this ballad. Glorious sounds and evocative images of the land where such a Barbry Ellen legend might have taken place. Thank you to Ricardo and Chris!

This beautiful traditional music had been transported across the Atlantic Ocean to the United States of America. The Everly Brothers and their family's ethnic and musical roots are colored with this rich inheritance.

Do watch the excellent documentary on Appalachia's history posted by Ricardo Delgado on page 48 #717.

See the lineage in Everly family and friends photos:

Young Ike Everly with Merle Travis and Mose Rager

Father Ike with young Don and Phil

Parents Ike & Margaret with teenage Don and Phil

Phil and Don with Mose Rager

Everly family members with Phil @ cousin, Pastor Ted's church about to sing (appropriately) "Amazing Grace"

Cultural Background:

Irish and Scottish settlers permeated Appalachia, a cultural region in the Eastern United States, that stretches from the Southern Tier of New York to northern Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. The Appalachian Mountain area touches West Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Appalachian music is one of the best-known manifestations of Appalachian culture. Traditional Appalachian music is derived primarily from the English and Scottish ballad tradition and Irish and Scottish fiddle music. African-American blues musicians played a significant role in developing the instrumental aspects of Appalachian music, most notably with the introduction of the five-stringed banjo—one of the region's iconic symbols—in the late 18th century. Another instrument known in Appalachian culture was the Appalachian dulcimer which, in a practical way, is a guitar-shaped instrument laid on its side with a flat bottom and the strings plucked in a manner to make alternating notes.

In the years following World War I, British folklorist Cecil Sharp brought attention to Southern Appalachia when he noted that its inhabitants still sang hundreds of English and Scottish ballads that had been passed down to them from their ancestors. Commercial recordings of Appalachian musicians in
the 1920s would have a significant impact on the development of country music, bluegrass, and old-time music. Appalachian music saw a resurgence in popularity during the American folk music revival of the 1960s, when musicologists such as Mike Seeger, John Cohen, and Ralph Rinzler traveled to remote parts of the region in search of musicians unaffected by modern music. Today, dozens of annual music festivals held throughout the region preserve the Appalachian music tradition'

Thus, now we come to this:
Last update on August 22, 7:17 pm by Gloria Solis.
In keeping with both the Song of the Month and the Irish/Scottish musical traditions in the Appalachian region of the USA (see reference in #723), Dolly Parton, born in Tennessee, is known primarily for her work in country music.

Dolly Parton and Irish group, Altan, collaborated to perform 'Barbara Allen'. Featured on Dolly's album Heartsongs - Live from Home.

Altan are an Irish folk music band formed in County Donegal in 1987 by lead vocalist Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh and her husband Frankie Kennedy. The group were primarily influenced by traditional Irish language songs from Donegal and have sold over a million records.

Recording of "Barbara Allen" by Dolly Parton haromonizing with Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087p-Wpkyog

Altan

Dolly and Mairéad
Last update on August 22, 7:18 pm by Gloria Solis.
Ricardo posted quite a few links for us to watch/listen I brought one forward a couple of days ago. This version also has a folk style to it sung by Jean Ritchie it deserves another listen.

Attachments
"Goldmund - The Ballad Of Barbara Allen"

Keith Kenniff is an American composer, multi-instrumentalist, and electronic music producer. He composes ambient/electronic music under the moniker Helios and post-classical piano music under Goldmund.
He is also half of the indie band Mint Julep, and ambient project "Hollie & Keith Kenniff". Keith is also a composer for film, television, dance and performance art. In 2010 he began the record label Unseen.

This audio recording is brief - 1:43 minutes. The sound is unique and reminds one of the quick flowing water of a stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umCcFyBPNWk

That recording you found Gloria may be brief but it is exquisitely beautiful. Very much like a lullaby.

It deserves to be listened to several times.
Just Don Edwards and his guitar singing "Barbara Allen" very nice.

Don Edwards (born March 20, 1939 in Boonton, New Jersey) is a cowboy singer and guitarist who performs Western music. He has recorded several albums, two of which, Saddle Songs and Songs of the Cowboy, are included in the Folklore Archives of the Library of Congress. Edwards also recorded the album High Lonesome Cowboy with Peter Rowan and Tony Rice.

In 1993 he appeared on Nanci Griffith's Grammy Award winning album Other Voices, Other Rooms on which he accompanied Griffith on a Michael Burton song entitled "Night Rider's Lament". Edwards played the character Smokey in Robert Redford's The Horse Whisperer. Edwards also performs the song "Coyotes" that plays during the final minutes of the documentary Grizzly Man.

In 2005, Don Edwards was inducted into the Western Music Association Hall of Fame.
Attachments
This version of "Barbara Allen" is uniquely performed. Dameon Locklear is known for music, specifically flute improvisational covers on YouTube. He is a non-professional musician.

He has done covers of many popular songs, among them: "How Sweet It Is" (Marvin Gaye). "Love Me Do" (Beatles), "Hero" (Enrique Iglesias), "Someone Like You" (Adele), "Just Another day" (Sam Cooke).

This recording may sound strange at the beginning, but give it minute. As he gets into the song' the flourishes on the flute are wonderful, and he picks up the moods of this ballad.

Dameon states, regarding the "Barbara Allen" song with the Everly Brothers' recording playing in the background: "I'm sorry, but I used no sheet music for this, and I have none to provide. I was listening to some variety today and stumbled across this enchanting ballad. Smooth and slightly sorrowful, but a delightful listen. Everything you hear is all based upon what I hear, therefore, much improvisation and musical liberty. Harmonies and dissonance resound making a lovely piece of music that few may actually know is a very old English folk tune."

Video of "Barbara Allen" by Dameon Locklear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgh2uHX_WQc

Last update on August 17, 2:58 pm by Gloria Solis.
This version of "Barbara Allen" played and sung by a harpist reminds me of years gone by. It just takes you back in time.
Attachments
Another stunning version of the song by Judy Collins, I have a few favourites of all which have been posted and this is one of them, Joan Baez versions I really like too. A couple of links from Ricardo and "Goldmund".

Attachments
Peter Seeger's rendition of "Barbara Allen has a definite American folk flavor.

Seeger (5/1919 - 1/2014) was a singer and social activist. A fixture on nationwide radio in the 1940s, he also had a string of hit records during the early 1950s as a member of the Weavers, most notably their recording of Lead Belly's "Goodnight, Irene", which topped the charts for 13 weeks in 1950. Members of the Weavers were blacklisted during the McCarthy Era. In the 1960s, he re-emerged on the public scene as a prominent singer of protest music in support of international disarmament, civil rights, counterculture, and environmental causes. (wikipedia)

RECORDING of Seeger's "Barbara Allen":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPdbHfgM0h0

I would never have thought that Pete Seeger had sung this song, his voice is unmistakeable though. I quite like it.
Keeping in the American folk singing vein, John Denver also did a version of "Barbara Allen" with Taffy and Bill Danoff who harmonized with him.

RECORDING by JOHN DENVER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MjOMVrUI8

Of course I know of John Denver, but I am not familiar with Bill and Taffy Danoff, on checking I found her maiden name to be Nivert. I am now looking at other songs from this husband and wife team and I find they did more songs with John Denver too.
Last update on August 20, 5:15 pm by Chris.