Everly songs

Ricardo's linked version in 763# of Josh White's "I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town" is so very bluesy. To get the full impact of someone singing as good as Josh White does I would want to sit down quietly and close my eyes, or even better to have seen him sing live.

Ricardo you have brought Josh White to my attention several times in the last couple of years and thank you for that.
Ricardo's offering in #759 interestingly demonstrates the variety a different rhythm or pacing can do to a song, live or recorded. It also shows that there is always lot of real work behind the lights and glamour!

The following video dovetails on what Ricardo presented before. It puts some of the Takes, with the addition of a Take 7, together linked by the conversation and critiques made between them.

"A great example of how a live studio recording takes shape and refines over time like an artist with a painting, but in this case take after take. The song gets progressively slower with each passing take, but ultimately the entire style (including the horn arrangements) are changed to a go-go!" (by keoki the poster)

Studio Recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1K1DoMrACA

Last update on September 3, 6:08 pm by Gloria Solis.
Hi Gloria,

Take 4?

I'm afraid it's exactly the same as the second one in my post # 757, page 51, address included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1K1DoMrACA [???]

Wink
Last update on September 3, 6:15 pm by Ricardo Delgado R..
Ricardo A-Priori
AYAYAYAYAY!!! I meant Take 7...(changing error in #767)

By the way, the alternative version , which you posted Ricardo (page 51 #759), is my favorite! I have to dance to it, Latin style!
Last update on September 3, 9:55 pm by Gloria Solis.
Ha ha!
Al mejor cazador se le va la liebre [Saying in Spanish: The best hunter will (sometimes) miss the hare.]
Ricardo A-Priori
"NO ONE CAN MAKE MY SUNSHINE SMILE" - LYRICS

Lyrics
No one can make my sunshine smile
She goes out seven nights a week
But she's unhappy all the whi-ile
Each night a different guy-uy
Does his very best to try, but
My sunshine used to smile for me
But then she traded me for sty-yle
Now she's got Romeo
Who'll buy her fancy clothes, but
Once her smile could light up the room
And make the sun look dim
Her laugh in her eyes went away
Her makin' my day begin

But since she said goodbye to me
She hasn't smiled for quite a while
I was just her little clown
But since I'm not around, well

Songwriters: GERRY GOFFIN, JACK KELLER
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Ricardo some of your links on Page 51 #757 and #759 of "No One Can Make my Sunshine Smile" i.e. 'Rare', Take 7 and alternate take sound like a trumpet is being played. Is it a trumpet or something similar?

Gloria mentions the Latin sound, it reminds me of a Samba dance, is that Latin? Smile
Last update on September 6, 6:52 pm by Chris.
JUST FOR REMEMBRANCE OF 9/11

(can be re-posted in SONGS thread later pages 6-7)

With the TWIN TOWERS in the background...
VIDEO James Taylor and Art Garfunkel - "Crying in the Rain"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRQIoRHa2E

Fan comments:
"They couldn't have known a day would come when this video/song would have such significance."

"the sweetest voices in a bitter day"

"Bitter sweet and glad I heard this today."

"Thank you both. Let us never forget those lost and those who lost. May God grant them peace"

"I had actually never heard this song before, nor had I even heard of it, but I have to say that I was quite moved to discover it on this sad anniversary. I am also quite curious as to what year this was recorded. Rather haunting, I must say. Thanks for sharing it."

"[Art Garfunkel & James Taylor] couldn't have known a day would come when this video/song would have such significance."
Last update on September 13, 2:35 am by Gloria Solis.
Following up with the appearance of Art Garfunkel in #783 is a lovely video of Art singing with his son, James Arthur Garfunkel, Jr. in concert in Tel Aviv, Israel, June 2015.

Father and son sing "Let It Be Me" a la Everly Brothers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKi4xgVqOH8

Art and James sing "Devoted To You" @ 6:06 in this fan shot video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGe3wB_Av-Q

The photos and songs can be re-posted in this thread, EVERLY SONGS:
"Let It Be Me", on page 14, #205 by Ricardo Delgado
"Devoted To You", on page 21, #306 by Ricardo Delgado
Last update on September 14, 10:59 pm by Gloria Solis.
There are quite a lot of video clips of Albert Lee singing "No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile", this clip is from Northern Ireland.

Recorded on 15th May 2012 in Coleraine, Northern Ireland.
Albert Lee (Guitar/Piano/Lead vocals), Brian Hodgson (Bass/Vocals), Gerry Hogan (Pedal Steel Guitar), Gavin Povey (Keyboards/Vocals), and Peter Baron (Drums/Vocals)

Just listen to that steel guitar, wonderful version.
Last update on September 15, 6:31 pm by Chris.
Attachments
I know that Albert Lee has said that this song is one of his favourites, he sings it so many times at concerts. This clip is in Cologne.

The guy on the steel guitar is making it sing!!
Last update on September 15, 6:32 pm by Chris.
Attachments
BOBBY VEE sings "No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile". The attached video is from a previously unreleased recording.

Born in Fargo, North Dakota

Robert Thomas Velline (April 30, 1943 – October 24, 2016), known professionally as Bobby Vee, was an American rock and roll and pop singer who was a teen idol in the early 1960s. According to Billboard magazine, he had thirty-eight Hot 100 chart hits, ten of which reached the Top 20. He had six gold singles in his career.

Vee's career began in the midst of tragedy. Three of the four headline acts in the lineup of the traveling Winter Dance Party (Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper) were killed in a plane crash. Vee with his musical group of friends, the Shadows volunteered to help and were chosen to fill in for Buddy Holly . Their performance there was a success, setting in motion a chain of events that led to Vee's career as a popular singer. ( information from wikipedia)

Recording of "No One can Make My Sunshine Smile":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waWkvyAp_O4

(Another reference to Bobby Vee and Buddy Holly: BUDDY STAR (in Forum) page 2 #21)
Last update on September 20, 3:30 pm by Gloria Solis.

Everly Brothers - No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile chords

Show chord diagrams

No One Can Make My Sunshine Smile

B Em F# B F# A

B G#m F# A
She goes out seven nights a week
B G#m F# A
But she�s unhappy all the while

G#m D#7 G#m C#7
Each night a different guy does his very best to try
B Em F# B F# A
But no one can make my sunshine smile

My sunshine used to smile for me but then she traded me for style
Now she�s got Romeos who buy her fancy clothes
But no one can make my sunshine smile

D#7 G#m D#7 G#m
Once her smile could light up a room and make the sun look dim
D#7 G#m C#7 F# A
Her laughing eyes had a way of making my day begin

But since she said goodbye to me she hasn�t smiled for quite a while
I was just her little clown but since I�m not around, well

Last update on September 20, 6:18 pm by Chris.