EB quotes, from Don and Phil, and others

"(These photos) remind me of when we crossed the Irish border late at night in a bus. A young armed soldier came aboard to check on us. He radioed his superior and told him it was the Everlys and band. Don & Phil had to sing "Dream" into the soldier's radio to prove who they were."

-- Albert Lee
Mary, your last quote (from Albert Lee) is a hoot! How funny! The soldier got his own personal performance from the Everlys.
Lenore

Don with Dave Edmunds.

“If pressed, I would have to admit that the Everly Brothers have had more influence on me than anyone else. The way Don sang those solo passages so beautifully still gets me. But most of all it was their accuracy in singing together. I once asked Don if they spend a long time working on their phrasing to achieve such perfect synchronisation on each of the many records they made over the years, to which he replied, "Nope, we just sang them!" When I listen to their records even now, his answer still puzzles me.”

-- Dave Edmunds

More from Dave Edmunds and working with The EBs:
Last update on April 2, 3:40 pm by Mary.
Attachments

“You can’t have “Bye Bye Love” or “Wake Up Little Susie” without those guitar pickings, without those guitar riffs we all remember, and they’re always Don Everly. And Don may say that he’s playing Bo Diddley’s lick but it’s just the modesty of a genius. They’re all Don Everly parts."

- former band member Warren Zevon
Last update on April 4, 5:26 pm by Mary.

The EBs with Jim Conkling, Warner Brothers president who signed the duo to the label in 1960.

From the Four King Cousins (Conkling's daughter's musical group) Facebook page:

From Candy: I have a couple of memories of the Everly Brothers. I remember that a few of us girls recorded a "pop" version of "Pomp and Circumstance" (graduation theme) that the Everly Bros. produced at Warner Bros. I remember being all jittery with excitement to meet them, as I still to this day say that my very first favorite song as a teenager was "Bye Bye Love". And, of course, they also were very cute and I had such a crush on Don. They were very nice and easy to work with. It was a real thrill to be in a recording studio with them.

The second memory is when we were doing the Kraft Summer Music Hall and they were the show's guest and we got to sing with them then. When we went on tour with John Davidson and George Carlin, while in Phoenix we heard the Everly Brothers were playing in a club, so we went over there to hear them perform and hang out with them for a while. They were very gentlemanly, nice, Southern charm, fun to be with. My dad was very close to them during the Warner Brothers years and even attended Don's wedding. (Just a side note: We still have an antique table my parents bought from one of them many years ago). It's a sad day for me personally to lose (Phil), such a lovely man and great talent.

From Cathy: Although I was younger than the other Girls when the Everly Brothers first hit, I remember hearing their music and loving it, and vaguely remember Candy's big crush on Don.

But when "Cathy's Clown" came out in 1960, they "owned" me. I was 13 then and that was so exciting for me. They even spelled it with a "C!" I remember feeling so special that a hit song's title was my name. I was a full fan by then.

We all loved their music, and really appreciated their close harmonies, because that's also what we had learned from our Mamas....and there's an extra special and unique "blend" when family sings together.

Later, when they appeared on the "Kraft Summer Music Hall" with us in 1966, we were all excited to see and meet them. I remember them being very nice and VERY cute."

-- Candy Conkling Brand, daughter, and group co-member Cathy Cole Green

Simon & Garfunkel on tour, with The EBs as "halftime show," in 2003.

" “Bridge Over Troubled Water” is inspired by two different sources, both of which are not too far away from Elvis Presley. One is The Swan Silvertones, that was Reverend (Claude) Jeter, who I became friends with, and the other is a song on The Everly Brothers album, “Songs Our Daddy Taught Us.” If I pointed them out to you you’d say, “I guess I hear it” but in some way both of those things fed into what became “Bridge Over Troubled Water.“

-- Paul Simon

(Which song Simon is referring to off "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us," he doesn't say. ?????)
Last update on May 10, 2:22 pm by Mary.
Very few popular songs [save maybe for some of the Beatles’] have been as thoroughly analyzed as Paul Simon’s Bridge Over Troubled Water, partly due to his very generous contribution to the Berklee College of Music, where it has become an iconic learning tool. I wish some of the Everly - Bryant songs were analyzed like this (and am currently taking a shot at one of my favorites).

The formal academic paper

https://www.berklee.edu/bt/251/lesson.html

states that:

He has cited the rendition of the spiritual “Oh, Mary Don’t You Weep” sung by Reverend Claude Jeter and the Swan Silvertones as providing musical and lyrical inspiration. The line in the spiritual, “I’ll be a bridge over deep water if you trust in my name,” reveals the connection.

On the other hand the Songfacts site

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=247

mentions that:

The production was modeled on Phil Spector's "Old Man River" by The Righteous Brothers
Around the time he wrote this, Simon had been listening to a lot of music by the gospel group The Swan Silvertones, which he says subconsciously influenced his decision to put gospel changes in the song. A Swan Silvertones song called "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep" contains the line "bridge over deep water," which may have seeped into Simon's subconscious as well.

The influence of the EBs on Simon & Garfunkel is totally out of the question, but I see no immediate, obvious melodic, harmonic or poetic connection of Bridge Over Troubled Water with any of the songs in the Songs Our Daddy Taught Us album, so it would be very interesting to have the source of your quote Mary.

The Berklee College of music site includes a complete faithfully transcribed score (not the kind publishing companies sell) of the song for tenor & piano with orchestra cues [the sort one would write for the conductor's part] at:

https://www.berklee.edu/berklee-today/summer-2013/...

and there are innumerable versions on You Tube.
This is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDg8fVC4EQ

A couple of references about Songs Our Daddy Taught Us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF95KYgqeIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpMQN4CStQ

Smile
Last update on May 11, 11:53 am by Ricardo Delgado R..
Ricardo A-Priori
Mary, regarding Paul Simon's comment above about Bridge Over Troubled Water--my first thought was Barbara Allen because I thought lyrics are similar in context but like Paul said some would probably say "I think I hear it." lol

Anyway, I got on YouTube and listened to some versions of Barbara Allen that were not Everly Brothers and I found this one by Art Garfunkel. Could this be his inspiration?

Art Garfunkel has one of the best voices in music in my opinion. I have listened to it 3 times already. A beautiful version. Don't know if Barbara Allen was the inspiration or not for Paul Simon's Bridge Over Troubled Water but Barbara Allen is a beautiful ballad in my opinion.
Last update on May 11, 3:08 pm by Lenore.
Attachments
Lenore
Lenore, totally agree about Art Garfunkel's wonderful voice! Smile

However, regarding Barbara Allen being the inspiration for Bridge Over Troubled Water:

1. Rhythmically, Barbara is in 3/4, while Bridge is in 4/4.

2. Harmonically, Barbara’s only four chords are rather simple traditional folk song repeating changes with “authentic, perfect” cadences [V7 to I]. Bridge’s over 13 chords are much more complex [e.g. different inversions, non-repeating structure, etc.] full of broken and gospel style “plagal” cadences [e.g. V7 to vi and IV to I].

3. Melodically, Barbara has only one single repeating verse and one single musical motive with very basic variations. Bridge has several much longer and much more complex musical motives that are developed in a more sophisticated manner along several different verses. Barbara’s melody spans one octave, while Bridge’s is wider, and their melodies have no structural relation to one another.

4. The topics that the two songs' lyrics deal with are totally different. A typical folk ballad directly narrating a rather sad love story in third person, with only the rose bush and brier metaphor; versus a first person, rather spiritual offer of total support to a friend, full of reiterated comparisons and metaphors.

Please compare:

http://www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com/barbara...

with:

https://www.berklee.edu/berklee-today/summer-2013/...

Wink
Last update on May 11, 4:05 pm by Ricardo Delgado R..
Ricardo A-Priori
But Ricardo, Paul Simon did say some people would say "I guess I hear it" when he commented about one of the Daddy songs being an inspiration for Bridge Over Trouble Water. That could mean it did not come close to how Bridge Over Troubled Water turned out. He said it "fed into what became Bridge Over Troubled Water." Smile

I researched Art's album, Angel Clare, which apparently is one of Art's best solo albums from what I read. In addition to Barbara Allen, Down In The Willow Garden is another one of the Daddy songs that appears on the album. So who knows which one of the Daddy songs Paul was referring to.

The Angel Clare album has some very interesting tracks with interesting stories behind them. One track was based on the Thomas Hardy novel, Tess of the d'Uebervilles. I had to read the synopsis of the novel because I read it a very long time ago, probably it was required reading in high school, and I had forgotten how the story was presented. I think I need to read it again. Smile
Last update on May 12, 10:21 am by Lenore.
Attachments
Lenore
I am adding a P.S. to Art Garfunkel's Down In the Willow Garden above.

Some of the Everly Brothers' session players played on this track. Perhaps some of the other tracks on the Angel Clare album too. I think I will have to get this CD. There was only one offered on eBay. Lots of LPs. Dirt cheap too.

In the area where credits are mentioned on the YouTube track, it mentions that Charlie Monroe wrote Down In The Willow Garden. I am not sure about that; Charlie Monroe probably sung this song much like Ike did and his name became associated with it. I listened to a Charlie Monroe version of Down In the Willow Garden; very good guitar from Charlie Monroe. Smile
Last update on May 12, 10:32 am by Lenore.
Lenore
Lenore, in my quote # 128 , I mentioned to Mary that “[…] it would be very interesting to have the source of your quote Mary.”

Since there has been no answer from her so far, maybe you could help out letting us know where you found the information about a song from “Songs Our Daddy Taught Us” inspiring “Bridge Over Troubled Water”.

Being an Everly fan, a musician and a composer it is important to me. Thanx!

Wink
Last update on May 14, 1:28 pm by Ricardo Delgado R..
Ricardo A-Priori
Ricarado, Mary posted what appears to be a quote from Paul Simon himself. Where she found the quote I have no idea.

My postings of Art's Barbara Allen and Down In the Willow Garden are not meant that one or perhaps even both of those songs could have been the ones Paul Simon was referring to. I did say "could this have been his inspiration" to write Bridge Over Troubled Water" because we do not know...it was done in fun and not meant to be taken seriously...we do try to have fun here.

I used Art Garfunkel's doing these Daddy Songs as a "springboard" to perhaps finding out which one of the songs Paul was referring to...mainly because Paul and Art collaborated on a lot of music so perhaps Art and Paul were having a meeting of the minds...don't take what I said seriously...I simply do not know...was opening it up mainly for discussion...but limited discussion because we do not know what Paul meant. As I said (per Mary's quote), Paul said if he would have pointed out which songs (only one of which was a Daddy Song; the other was by the Swan Silvertones), he would have said "If I pointed them out to you you’d say, 'I guess I hear it' but in some way both of those things fed into what became “Bridge Over Troubled Water.“
Lenore

Claudette and Roy Orbison

“We were backstage. I met the boys and Ike Everly, their father. Everybody backstage was pitching songs. They would sit down and say, "Sing four or five songs for the boys." I said, "I don’t think I’ll do that; I won’t impose on them." I started to leave the dressing room and they said, "Roy, do you have any songs?" I said, "I’ve got one song." So, I sat down to sing that ("Claudette") for them and they liked it very much and wrote the lyric down on the top of a shoe box. Took it back to Nashville and recorded it and it was a co-number one with "All I Have to Do is Dream." ”

-- Roy Orbison telling the story of how The Everly Brothers came to record his song “Claudette.”
Attachments