1963 Billboard of concerts

THE EVERLY BROTHERS TOUR - IRELAND 1966

Tour Schedule (intense):

April 1966 in Ireland with the "Empire Showband" see comment #76

FEBRUARY 1958 one of THE EVERLY BROTHERS early TOURS.

Their friendships with many new artists developed through these types of tours - among them, though short in duration. was with Buddy Holly.

(Reference: Read about Buddy Holly's on-going influence and his connection with The Everly Brothers in the Forum thread, Buddy Star Day/Night Guitar)
Last update on September 21, 12:56 pm by Gloria Solis.

"So Sad" was recorded in Nashville, Tennessee at the RCA Victor Studio on March 24, 1960 and released in August of that same year, The single was backed by the song, "Lucille". Typical for The Everly Brothers at that time was to match a ballad with an upbeat (actually rock) number.

"So Sad" charted to #7 in USA and to #4 in UK.

This song was recorded in Italian by The Everly Brothers under the title, "Buona Fortuna Amore Mio". (information from everlypedia)

Last update on September 22, 1:08 am by Gloria Solis.
I am re-visiting a Billboard when I realised that this one says just Frankie Lymon (no teenagers)

Frankie Lymon was born in Harlem, New York on September 30, 1942 to Howard and Jeanette Lymon. Howard worked as a truck driver and Jeanette worked as a maid. Howard and Jeanette Lymon also sang in a gospel group known as the Harlemaires; Frankie and his brothers, Lewis and Howie, sang with the Harlemaire Juniors (a fourth Lymon brother, Timmy, was a singer, though not with the Harlemaire Juniors). The Lymons struggled to make ends meet, so, at age 10, Lymon began working as a grocery boy.

At the age of 12 in 1954, Lymon heard a local doo-wop group known as the Coupe De Villes at a school talent show. He became friends with the lead singer, Herman Santiago, and he eventually became a member of the group, now calling itself both The Ermines and The Premiers. Dennis Jackson of Columbus, Georgia, was one of the main influences in Lymon's life. His personal donation of $500 helped start Lymon's career.

The group was composed of five boys, all in their early to mid-teens. The original lineup of the Teenagers, an integrated group, included three African-American members, Frankie Lymon, Jimmy Merchant, and Sherman Garnes; and two Puerto Rican members, Joe Negroni and Herman Santiago.

One day in 1955, a neighbour gave The Premiers several love letters that had been written to him by his girlfriend, with the hopes that he could give the boys inspiration to write their own songs. Merchant and Santiago adapted one of the letters into a song called "Why Do Fools Fall in Love". The Premiers, now calling themselves The Teenagers, got their first shot at fame after impressing Richard Barrett, a singer with The Valentines. Barrett, in turn, got the group an audition with record producer George Goldner. On the day of the group's audition, Santiago, the original lead singer, was late. Lymon stepped up and told Goldner that he knew the part because he helped write the song. The disc jockeys always called them "Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers".

The Teenagers' first single, 1956's "Why Do Fools Fall in Love," was also its biggest hit. After Lymon went solo in mid-1957, both his career and that of the Teenagers fell into decline. He was found dead at the age of 25 on the floor of his grandmother's bathroom from a heroin overdose. His life was dramatized in the 1998 film Why Do Fools Fall In Love.

Goldner signed the group to Gee Records, and "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" became its first single in January 1956. The single peaked at No. 6 on the Billboard pop singles chart, and topped the Billboard R&B singles chart for five weeks.

Six other top blues 10 singles followed over the next year or so: "I Want You to Be My Girl", "I Promise to Remember", "Who Can Explain?", "Out in the Cold Again", "The ABC's of Love", "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent", and "Baby Baby" were also popular Teenagers releases. "I Want You To Be My Girl" gave the band its second pop hit, reaching No. 13 on the national Billboard Hot 100 chart. "Goody Goody" (written by Matty Malneck and Johnny Mercer and originally performed by Benny Goodman) was a No. 20 pop hit but did not appear on the R&B chart. The Teenagers placed two other singles in the lower half of the pop chart.

With the release of "I Want You To Be My Girl", the group's second single, The Teenagers became Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers. An album, "The Teenagers Featuring Frankie Lymon", was released in December 1956.

In early 1957, Lymon and the Teenagers broke up while on a tour in Europe. During an engagement at the London Palladium, Goldner began pushing Lymon as a solo act, giving him solo spots in the show. Lymon began performing with backing from pre-recorded tapes. The group's last single, "Goody Goody" backed with "Creation of Love," initially retained the "Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers" credit, but they were actually solo recordings (with backing by session singers). Lymon had officially departed from the group by September 1957; an in-progress studio album called Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers at the London Palladium was instead issued as a Lymon solo release.

This Billboard shows Frankie Lymon's song below his name "Goody Goody" the same as the other Billboard.

Frankie singing "Goody Goody" on the Ed Sullivan Show August 4, 1957.

Frankie appearing solo on the Ed Sullivan Show, December 22, 1957.

Lymon's slowly declining sales fell sharply in the early 1960s. Over the next four years, Lymon struggled through short-lived deals with 20th Century Fox Records and Columbia Records.
His final television performance was on Hollywood a Go-Go in 1965. The same year, Lymon was drafted into the United States Army and reported to Fort Gordon, Georgia, near Augusta, Georgia, for training, it is said he was discharged.

Traveling to New York in 1968, Lymon was signed by manager Sam Bray to his Big Apple label, and the singer returned to recording.

On February 27, 1968, Lymon was found dead of a heroin overdose at the age of 25.
Last update on September 27, 4:30 pm by Chris.
Appearing in Arnhem with Duane Eddy a life long friend of Phil's but also a friend of Don's.

Phil with Duane Eddy and Aerosmith

AN AMUSING BIT OF ADVERTISING:

"Your Name Goes Here"...the "Opening Act's" name? (for whoever may want to 'open' ???) or the name of the concert goer???

Reference: Forum thread Shindig, Hullabaloo and other shows... page 1 #4 - The Everly Brothers' appearances on the Perry Como Show in 1957 and 1959.
Last update on October 6, 1:21 am by Gloria Solis.
An interesting Billboard Gloria.

'Your name goes here'!!!!

A POSSIBLE ANNOUNCEMENT/PROMOTION FOR AN APPEARANCE FEATURING ARTISTS IN THE TOP 100s

TOP SONGS OF 1959 (1st 20 out of 100)

1 Johnny Horton-The Battle Of New Orleans
2 Bobby Darin-Mack The Knife
3 Lloyd Price-Personality
4 Frankie Avalon-Venus
5 Paul Anka-Lonely Boy
6 Bobby Darin-Dream Lover
7 Browns-The Three Bells
8 Fleetwoods-Come Softly To Me
9 Wilbert Harrison-Kansas City
10 Fleetwoods-Mr. Blue
11 Santo and Johnny-Sleep Walk
12 Paul Anka-Put Your Head On My Shoulder
13 Lloyd Price-Stagger Lee
14 Ritchie Valens-Donna
15 Dodie Stevens-Pink Shoelaces
16 Platters-Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
17 Coasters-Charlie Brown
18 Martin Denny-Quiet Village
19 Carl Dobkins Jr.-My Heart Is An Open Book
20 Everly Brothers-('Til) I Kissed You

The rest of the artists from the billboard above are listed here:

62 Bell Notes - I've Had It
63 Florence Baker - I Cried A Tear
65 Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You
66 Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn Theme
68 Fats Domino - I Want to Walk You Home
69 Fiestas - So Fine
97 Everly Brothers - Take A Message To Mary
Last update on October 14, 5:13 pm by Gloria Solis.
Production tribute from Tucson, Arizona:
@ The Gaslight Music Hall!: Bye, Bye Love – A Salute to the Everly Brothers

Bye, Bye Love!

Saturday, May 12, 7PM

The Gaslight Music Hall!
13005 N Oracle Rd in Oro Valley

(520) 529-1000
www.gaslightmusichall.com

A salute to the Everly Brothers and the timeless harmonies of rock and roll duos. Featuring songs like "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Cathy's Clown," you'll be immersed in the music and stories of America's greatest sibling duo as well as their early influences and the artists they eventually inspired.

Very entertaining link Gloria as always - Grandma Tony's!!!
EVERLY BROTHERS AND FATS DOMINO CONNECTION

Starting with the Rock 'N Roll tours of the late 1950s to their inductions as the first Rock musicians in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, the Everlys' and Fats Domino' music has endured.

The Everly Brothers also covered some Fats Domino hits - "Blueberry Hill", "I Want You To Know" and "The Girl Can't Help It" (video recordings below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=G... ("Blueberry Hill"/"I Want You To Know")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ijZSgA2A8 ("The Girl Can't Help It")

View PAUL McCARTNEY's memories of Fats Domino
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccart...

Fats Domino passed away on October 24, 2017
Last update on October 28, 3:59 pm by Gloria Solis.

For LIVE recording of the Everly Brothers' appearance on Sunday, August 3, 1969 and other information go to Forum thread: EB Appearances @ CLUBS (night clubs supper clubs, other venues.. page 3, #35
Last update on November 6, 11:01 pm by Gloria Solis.
Here is a link to view the images of the Fillmore West Club's posters (bills) handed out to audiences as they left sold-out performances. Noted artists of the 60's designed these now collectors' items. (Reference #89)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Fillmore+West...

(For more complete information on the Fillmore West Club and the Everly Brothers performance there go to Forum thread EB Appearances ant CLUBS and other venues...page 3 #34,35)

Additional Information on the special posters:
Fillmore West is one of more than 300 live performance venues listed in the Classic Posters Search by Venue Index. Each of the Fillmore West concert posters, handbills, or other memorabilia items available at Classic Posters is described in detail; simply click the image to see the item detail page and all available information on that item, including the live concert or performance for which it was created, the artist who designed the artwork, the date of the live performance, as well as item availability, size, and condition details. (https://www.classicposters.com/Fillmore_West)

Everly Brothers' Specially Designed Fillmore West Poster - descriptions from classicposters.com

Fillmore West 7/29-8/3/69

The postcard has a calendar of Bill Graham events on the back and measures approximately 4⅝″ x 7″.
A double postcard was also printed. This card bears the images of both BG-184 and 185 and measures approximately 7⅛″ x 9″. It has a bulk rate permit on the back. In addition, some copies were addressed and mailed to people on the mailing list.

Original Concert Ticket Set EVERLY performance August 1-3, 1969

Last update on November 10, 10:54 am by Gloria Solis.