Ike and Margaret Everly

Isaac "Ike" Everly (April 29, 1908 – October 22, 1975)

Margaret (Embry) Everly, November 25, 1919
Last update on June 15, 5:13 pm by Mary.
Thank you Mary, for these photos also of Margaret and Ike Everly,so lovely to have them on our site.They were a very loving, close, and happy family,you can see the strong bonds in the photos.
Interesting article on Everly family history in Kentucky.
Attachments

The top 2 photos are at the Grand Ole Opry and the bottom one was in Amsterdam - Ike and his boys
Last update on May 30, 6:00 pm by Chris.

I like this photo of Ike the mentor with his sons, I also like how a near ghostly picture is between them of Ike.
Last update on May 30, 6:04 pm by Chris.
Family ancestry of the Everlys. Their background goes back pretty far into Kentucky, a little from Tennessee.
Attachments

Rather lengthy article on John Prine's song "Paradise," about coal mining in Muhlenberg County, KY, home to both the Prine and the Everly families.
Attachments
Interesting article on famed guitar-picker and songwriter Merle Travis (who learned guitar from Ike Everly) and his 1947 "Folk Songs of the Hills." Travis, from Kentucky, learned his style from Ike and Mose Rager, and went on to influence Chet Atkins, among many other guitarists. This article details a bit of the origins and evolution of American country and folk music into the emerging forms of rock and pop after WWII. Travis' great songs, "Sixteens Tons" and "Nine Pound Hammer," both about coal mining, are country and bluegrass standards.
Last update on June 16, 8:14 pm by Mary.
Attachments
A few various articles, including a Phil interview from 2002, and near the end, one of Ike Everly relating the boys' early years.
Attachments
A framed photo above a radio, courtesy of Sharon Knezevich, taken on her tour of The EBs' childhood home in Shenandoah, IA.

Last update on July 30, 5:31 pm by Mary.

Last update on September 27, 7:57 pm by Mary.
IKE EVERLY INTERVIEW with Ben A. Green, 1958- 1

"The Early Everly Brothers' Story"

Their mother's faith in God and in the boys' ability is responsible for Don and Phil Everly being what they are today. It is impossible to tell how much we appreciate the guidance, the friendships, and the help they have received. But above all, Margaret, my wife, has been the key to their lives. She has done it by expressing belief in them and their future when unemployment, sickness, and other factors made our family's future look all but lost.

BORN IN KENTUCKY. We were in show business when the boys were born in Central City, Ky. I started in show business in 1932, I believe. That was after I had done several other things, including working in a coal mine where my father had worked. I was born and raised in Ohio County, just over the Kentucky line. Later we moved to Muhlenberg County. My first music job was at WGBS in Muhlenberg County.
It came naturally because I've loved country music all my life. My dad was an old left-handed fiddler, and my mother played too. We always liked music a lot. There were 10 children, five boys and five girls. Now there are three boys and three girls. We always played around home and never thought of making a living at it or making any money out of it. In 1929 I went to Chicago, played some, but got homesick in a month or two. It was a small station I was on, and I doubted if it's in existence now. When I started to leave for home, the station manager told me he might be able to pay us so we wouldn't have to do any other kind of work. We had been playing one night a week for the fun of it.

I could hardly grasp the idea because I just never had given it much consideration - making a living playing music. But I kept on playing for fun and in 1932 got acquainted with a band of musicians that needed a guitar player. I played and sang with them so they hired me. We had a sponsor, Crazy Water Crystals, I think it was. That was before I married Margaret Embry, who had been a next-door neighbor of our family all her life. Don was born February 1, 1937, in Central City, and Phil came along January 19, 1939. Margaret played the bass fiddle after the boys were born, and we went to Chicago when they were quite young - babies in fact. When I got married, I quit other work and started playing music full-time.

WITH GOBEL AND FOLEY. I worked road shows and night clubs in Chicago. I had the first electric guitar on Madison Street. I worked WLS road shows in the days when Red Foley and George Gobel were there, and I had the pleasure of working a few shows with them. In the fall of 1944, two other boys and I went to KAGL in Waterloo, Iowa, and we had a cowboy trio there. We stayed there around a year and then went to Southwestern Iowa, about 50 or 60 miles from Omaha, Nebraska where there were two radio stations, KMA and KFNS. So I started in as a solo act at KMA, and Don started working with me on a Saturday show in 1945. Don was about seven then, I believe. Pretty soon he attracted so much listener attention that it became Don's program.
Last update on October 19, 12:22 am by Gloria Solis.