The EBs' childhood

After Donald's birth in Brownie, KY on Feb. 1, 1937, the Everly family moved to Chicago, where Phil was born on Jan. 19, 1939. In 1945, the family moved to Shenandoah, IA where Ike got a radio music job at KMA. The family act was born, adding the two boys and mom Margaret, during the years at KMA. The family briefly worked at KFNF, also in Shenandoah, before moving away from Iowa in 1952. They took a summer radio job at KIKY in Evansville, IN before moving on to Knoxville, TN in 1953 and Cas Walker's radio show on WROL, staying until 1955. Don graduated from high school in 1955, and he and Phil struck out on their own as a duo, heading to Nashville.

Last update on February 17, 9:41 pm by Mary.
Thank you Mary, for posting these wonderful photos of Don and Phil growing up.They certainly had an idyllic childhood,money might have been short at that time,but they grew up with so much love around them.Carefree times long ago,when it was safe for children to have the freedom to play and roam outside, and be children.They certainly grew,with Margaret's and Ike's care,into well rounded characters and respectful young men,that any parent would be proud of.And as you know,the rest is history...........
You're welcome, Marianne. It was suggested once that photos on separate threads per subject matter in Forum are much easier to locate than in our massive Photos section, which has no organization.
It is a great idea to have them all in one place and where any additional ones can be added.
Article on the Everly Family's years with KMA Radio in Shenandoah, IA, but also on Don and Phil's childhood.
Last update on May 30, 5:04 pm by Mary.
Attachments
"I got most of my schooling in Iowa. I wasn't a great student. But I went to school in Waterloo, and then in Shenandoah. I was a junior in high school--or a sophomore--when I left Iowa. I had two years in Knoxville (Tennessee) then. But, most of my education is in Iowa, and I really thought it was wonderful the way they taught. It was a really good thing--very good thing."

-- Don, January 2016
Last update on June 8, 8:22 am by Mary.
Attachments

Don, in the 8th grade, Shenandoah, IA, 1951.

Phil, in the 7th Grade, 1952, Shenandoah, IA.

Phil, on the track team, Knoxville.
Last update on December 6, 3:51 pm by Mary.

Cooking Shrimp Creole with mama Margaret.
Last update on July 30, 6:22 pm by Mary.
A little bit on Shenandoah, The EBs on KMA Radio, and their restored childhood home.

(RAGBRAI is "The (Des Moines, IA) Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa".)

Plus, a snippet on Don and Phil's paper routes, Ike on KMA, and a photo of Phil.
Last update on June 29, 11:44 am by Mary.
Attachments
These photos are posted courtesy of Sharon Knezevich, taken on her tour of The EBs' childhood home in Shenandoah, IA. Thanks for these, Sharon!

At the time Sharon took these photos, there was a town celebration going on, hence the window decorations.

This is the tiny family home that Margaret Everly was quoted as saying, "It was so small, there was not enough room to change your mind!"

Same two windows as in this 1946 KMA photo of Ike, Don, and Phil practicing?

Back of the house.

Last update on July 30, 5:32 pm by Mary.
Lenore
Lenore

A Christmas photo taken of the Cas Walker Show crew. At the time it was for a benefit for needy children.
Last update on October 6, 11:40 am by Lenore.
Lenore
Lenore
Lenore