CELEBRATING PHIL EVERLY

There's a law [at least here in Mexico, but pretty sure it's included in international treaties] that states that the name of the composer must be mentioned when playing a song on the radio, but it is rarely complied with.

Songs are typically attributed to performers, not authors [e.g. people will refer to The Everly Brothers' All I Have to Do Is Dream, or just plain Dream, almost never referring to the Bryants.]
Ricardo A-Priori
There is a law that any usage of a song, played, recorded or sung live, must have permission from publishers, ie. for example like BMI (Broadcast Music Incorporated), who pay royalties for such usage. All BMI songs must be registered by composers.

Here is an excerpt from the BMI 2016 Annual Review:

"BMI continues to set the bar, generating record-setting revenues of $1.060 billion for the fiscal year
ended June 30, 2016, and distributing and administering more than $931 million to the songwriters, composers and publishers that BMI represents. This marks a 6% increase over last year and the Company’s largest distribution ever. These figures also represent the most reported public performance revenue and royalty distributions by any music rights organization in the world." (https://www.bmi.com/pdfs/publications/2016/BMI_Annual_Review_2016.pdf)

In connection with the Songwriters Hall of Fame Information #600, and Phil Everly's comment regarding songwriting, this is what Alicia Keys recently said.

(The reason why she would not be back in the TV Program, "The Voice")
"I can't wait for you to hear new music, and so that's one of the reasons why I won't be able to come back next season," she continued. "But I love writing. It's just the most beautiful, exciting things, and every time I get better. That's the blessing and magic of writing."
ALICIA KEYS 5/3/017
Yesterday was the birthday of Sonny Curtis (dob May 9, 1937), outstanding musician and songwriter. Some famous songs: "I Fought the Law and the Law Won", "Love Is All Around" - theme song of the Mary Tyler Moore tv series, "The Real Buddy Holly Story", and, of course, "Walk Right Back".

How appropriate that Sonny Curtis' gave Phil Everly his Songwriters' award (see quote #600-602) and that Phil honored Sonny at the Musicians Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in 2008! (MORE TO FOLLOW)

From the Everly Brothers' touring with the Crickets and the recording of "Walk Right Back", a hit song composed by Sonny, there has been a longstanding friendship.

Last update on May 10, 6:23 pm by Gloria Solis.

Last update on May 27, 5:26 pm by Chris.
MEMORIAL DAY TO HONOR THOSE WHO DIED IN SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY

"SEMPER FI" (ALWAYS FAITHFUL) - MOTTO OF THE UNITED STATES MARINES

Last update on May 29, 3:43 pm by Gloria Solis.
Semper Fidelis Wink

http://www.military.com/marine-corps-birthday/the-...
Ricardo A-Priori
Ricardo, thank you very much for the the simple and clearly informative article on Semper Fidelis, the US Marine Corps motto. How interesting to note the connections to Mexico and England!
(See #605 and 606)

In the comments following the article, someone saluted all the US Armed Forces, which is most appropriate for Memorial Day! Phil Everly tried to explain that unity of Marines' brotherhood in the documentary where he jokes about the Everly Brothers enlisting in the US Marine Corps due to their having "shiny helmets" as Don insisted LOL).

After Phil's passing, a fan recognized his service by commenting only, "SEMPER FI".
Last update on May 31, 11:25 am by Gloria Solis.
NEW VIDEO OF "DREAMER" SUNG BY JOHNNY RIVERS WITH PHIL EVERLY CLEARLY and BEAUTIFULLY HEARD ON VOCALS.
(Phil Everly provided harmony vocals for Johnny Rivers on this track from his 1980 album BORROWED TIME.)

"DREAMER" was composed by John ‘Moon’ Martin, called ‘Moon’, because many of his song lyrics had ‘moon’ in them.

LYRICS:
Can’t believe you got that attitude
You’ve been so cold and rude
Baby, when you gonna give it up
Tell me are we breaking up
I know, what you wanna do
You wanna leave me blue
You
Dreamer, dreamer
Dreamer, dreamer
You’ve been telling everyone and all
Just how I’m gonna fall
When I do you’re gonna be right there
T’ walk away and show me you don’t care
Hey I know, what you wanna do
You wanna leave me blue
You
Dreamer, dreamer
Dreamer, dreamer
I remember when
She was in my skin
And though it’s wearin’ thin
She thinks she’s gonna win
Dreamer, dreamer
Dreamer, dreamer
Dreamer, dreamer
Ooooooo, Ooooooo…

NEW VIDEO posted May 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyik-KhM0aQ

That is new to me Ricardo #606, interesting fact about the connection with the Devonshire Regiment.

We have so many songs shared between Phil and Johnny Rivers, Phil writing for him and singing with him on some songs I take from this that they must have been good friends to collaborate together so much.

Johnny Rivers was not known a great deal in the UK, he is a very good singer. I have listened to many of his songs in the past 2 years knowing the connection with Phil got me interested in him.
B E A U T I P H I L

(Some of us need to see this delightphil image of Phil Everly today! Praises to artist!)
Last update on June 4, 6:01 pm by Gloria Solis.
They have captured his depth of character extremely well.

Probably the best sketch I have seen of Phil.
As a complement to the posts of Phil Everly's appearances with the late Dean Reed (See page 35 #521-525), here is the latest video of the Dean Reed Show in Germany, 1979.

"This ... is Phil's first guest appearance on the show.

He performs "When Will I Be Loved" and a rare live version of "Ich Bin Dein" ["I Am Yours"] before joining forces with his host on "Dream" and "Bye Bye Love".

They finish the show together with the rest of the cast performing "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean".

Oh and in between Phil has some fun with the German language!" (via YouTube)

VIDEO RECORDING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iTWyRlH9HE

Great photos of Phil and Dean, especially the last one of Phil. That is a fabulous photo.

I have had the Dean Reed book sent to me by a friend, I have yet to start it, I am sure it will be interesting and my thoughts are that Phil will be mentioned more than once. I will keep you posted when I read it.
ELEGANT PHIL EVERLY in photos...

Elegance in face, voice, character, musicianship...

Although "elegance", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder,here are some images that come to mind. TO BE CONTINUED...

A PocketPhil of Phil Everly