CELEBRATING PHIL EVERLY

There's a law [at least here in Mexico, but pretty sure it's included in international treaties] that states that the name of the composer must be mentioned when playing a song on the radio, but it is rarely complied with.

Songs are typically attributed to performers, not authors [e.g. people will refer to The Everly Brothers' All I Have to Do Is Dream, or just plain Dream, almost never referring to the Bryants.]
Ricardo A-Priori
There is a law that any usage of a song, played, recorded or sung live, must have permission from publishers, ie. for example like BMI (Broadcast Music Incorporated), who pay royalties for such usage. All BMI songs must be registered by composers.

Here is an excerpt from the BMI 2016 Annual Review:

"BMI continues to set the bar, generating record-setting revenues of $1.060 billion for the fiscal year
ended June 30, 2016, and distributing and administering more than $931 million to the songwriters, composers and publishers that BMI represents. This marks a 6% increase over last year and the Company’s largest distribution ever. These figures also represent the most reported public performance revenue and royalty distributions by any music rights organization in the world." (https://www.bmi.com/pdfs/publications/2016/BMI_Annual_Review_2016.pdf)

In connection with the Songwriters Hall of Fame Information #600, and Phil Everly's comment regarding songwriting, this is what Alicia Keys recently said.

(The reason why she would not be back in the TV Program, "The Voice")
"I can't wait for you to hear new music, and so that's one of the reasons why I won't be able to come back next season," she continued. "But I love writing. It's just the most beautiful, exciting things, and every time I get better. That's the blessing and magic of writing."
ALICIA KEYS 5/3/017
Yesterday was the birthday of Sonny Curtis (dob May 9, 1937), outstanding musician and songwriter. Some famous songs: "I Fought the Law and the Law Won", "Love Is All Around" - theme song of the Mary Tyler Moore tv series, "The Real Buddy Holly Story", and, of course, "Walk Right Back".

How appropriate that Sonny Curtis' gave Phil Everly his Songwriters' award (see quote #600-602) and that Phil honored Sonny at the Musicians Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in 2008! (MORE TO FOLLOW)

From the Everly Brothers' touring with the Crickets and the recording of "Walk Right Back", a hit song composed by Sonny, there has been a longstanding friendship.

Last update on May 10, 7:23 pm by Gloria Solis.

Last update on May 27, 6:26 pm by Chris.