Live at the BBC

"When Will I Be Loved" composed by Phil Everly in 1959, recorded and released in 1960 via Cadence Records

Phil and Don Everly in recording studio

Last update on October 27, 9:59 pm by Gloria Solis.
SOUNDS OF THE 60'S - 28TH OCTOBER 2017 - TONY BLACKBURN

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv

No Everly Brothers again this week but we have the Walker Brothers singing one of the Everly Brother's songs, this weeks connections are:

The Beatles - Help
Four Tops - Something about you
The Beach Boys - Sloop John B
Dean Martin - Gentle on my mind
Fats Domino - Be my guest
Fats Domino - Red sails in the sunset
Cilla Black - Surround yourself in sorrow
Walker Brothers - Love Her
Petula Clarke - Don't sleep in the subway
Elvis Presley - In the ghetto
The Rolling Stones - (I can't get no) Satisfaction

Bobby Vee on again this week, since his passing we have had many of his records on this show, good to see a couple from Fats Domino today, loads more on the show than I have listed.

Last update on October 28, 5:22 pm by Chris.
THE EVERLY BROTHERS connections with CILLA BLACK and DEAN MARTIN

Everly Brothers' appearance on The Dean Martin Show

For complete details, photos, & video, see the Forum thread: Shindig, Hullabaloo, and other... page 1 #3

Cilla Black with the Everly Brothers backstage of program, Ready, Set, Go

Reference in Forum thread: Shindig, Hullabaloo, and other... page 2 #29

Cilla Black with Phil Everly on the BBC show, Cilla

For complete details, photos, & video, see the Forum thread: Shindig, Hullabaloo, and other... page 2 #25
Last update on October 30, 9:51 pm by Gloria Solis.
Bill Kenwright's Golden Years Episode 1 31st October 2017

Only 4 episodes this season, Bill is a very busy man. No Everly Brothers songs this week but I am sure he will play one or two on the other 3 shows to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bj4c9#play

He is playing some great artists and some different songs but that is how Bill does it, he finds the unusual ones out. LaVern Baker, 2 from the Crickets, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran and many more.

As usual these BBC shows last 30 days.
Last update on November 1, 6:37 pm by Chris.
BBC SOUNDS OF THE 60's - 4th NOVEMBER 2017 - TONY BLACKBURN

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09cl5fs

Another week of no Everly songs Unhappy there are many from artists who had connections with the Everly Brothers. These are only some of which were played today.

Gerry & The Pacemakers - I'm the one
Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
Diana Ross & The Supremes - In and out of love
Brenda Lee - I want to be wanted
Cliff Richard & The Shadows - Gee whizz it's you
Herman's Hermits - I'm into something good
The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Woman
The Hollies - I can't let go
Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry - All I have to do is dream
Burt Bacharach - Trains & Boats & Planes
Kenny Rogers & Kenny Rogers & The first edition - Ruby don't take your love to town
Lulu - Leave a Little Love

This week Tony plays a favourite song of mine from Don Gibson "Sea of a Heartbreak"
Also on BBC radio yesterday 4th November 2017 - PICK OF THE POPS - Paul Gambuccini

Paul's show plays 2 chosen years (this week 1965 & 1979) each week of the top 20 hits and this week he played The Everly Brothers "Love is Strange" commenting before the song and after, nice one PaulSmile Paul Gambuccini is a Canadian who has lived in the UK for as long as I can remember, he is also a friend of Cliff Richard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09cl5fx
I was hoping to post this show yesterday but I had things to doSmile

This is the Steve Wright show and he is in Nashville with Tim Smith for the Country Awards which were presented last night.

Isn't it great how the BBC covers so many things in the US or about US artists?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09cl6gk

Steve and Tim are live from Nashville, USA, in the build up to the biggest night in country music, the 51st annual CMA Awards. The Big Show is broadcasting from the iconic Music Row and they chat to the biggest stars in town, including legendary artists Tim McGraw and Faith Hill who have announced they're bringing their highly acclaimed and record breaking Soul2Soul tour to the UK as part of the 2018 Country to Country Festival. Kelsea Ballerini, a rising star in the US who's become the first female country artist to go to number 1 with her first three consecutive singles is also on the show and has recently supported Lady Antebellum on a UK arena tour. Also on the show is Scott Borchetta, the President and CEO of Big Machine Label group and the man who discovered Taylor Swift. There's live music in the studio from duo Dan + Shay who've toured across America alongside Darius Rucker and Blake Shelton and they're now set to tour the UK later this year.

Steve and Tim head out on the streets of downtown Nashville to find out exactly what a 'Honky Tonk' is, why all the bars are so full of music and what makes the city the home of country music. They also take a trip to Prince's Hot Chicken Shack to find out how their legendary fried chicken is made and why it's so popular and spreading to the UK. Plus they get the lowdown on the 'Nashville' look from the stars of the hugely successful TV show that's become a worldwide hit.

There will also be the latest news on the CMA Awards themselves. They'll be talking to American radio host Nada Taha about who'll be performing live on the night, the big surprises in store and who's going to walk away with the top prizes including Entertainer Of The Year.

If Steve is still doing his show today from Nashville I will post it later. Enjoy.
Last update on November 9, 10:30 am by Chris.
SOUNDS OF THE 60's - 11th NOVEMBER 2017 - TONY BLACKBURN

No Everly Brothers again but what a great week, he is playing a lot of records this week. Great to hear Doris Day singing "Move over Darling" Then Bing Crosby singing "Hey Jude"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09dw9p1#play

Artists with connections to the EB's include:

Cliff Richard & The Shadows - Nine times out of ten
Julie London - Louie Louie
Lulu - To Sir with love
The Rolling Stones - Not Fade away
Adam Faith - Poor Me
The Beach Boys - Then I kissed her
Four Tops - Reach Out I'll be there
The Beatles - Penny Lane
Last update on November 18, 12:42 pm by Chris.
Bill Kenwright's Golden Years - 7th November 2017

Yay we have the Everly Brothers, I enjoyed listening to the show then forgot to post it!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09clrnh

It lasts for another 21 days these are just some of the artists on the show

Duane Eddy - Because They're Young
Fats Domino - Ain't that a shame
The Everly Brothers - Love Her
Dion - Donna the prima Donna
Frankie Lymon - Goody Goody
The Beach Boys - Be true to your school
Elvis Presley & The Jordanaires - Don't
Pat Boone - I'll see you in my dreams
Last update on November 18, 12:42 pm by Chris.
The Everly Brothers' recording of "Love Her" (take #25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQuT4Bf_5ZQ

BILL KENWRIGHT'S GOLDEN YEARS - 14th NOVEMBER 2017

Two Everly Brothers songs back to back. Last show next week, I hope he plays some more of their songs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09dxv7c#play

Full list of artists appearing on this show:

Duane Eddy - Because they're young
The Coasters - Charlie Brown
Ricky Nelson - Young World
Arthur Alexander - Where have you been
Lonnie Donegan - Sorry, but I'm gonna have to pass
Joe South - You're the reason
The Four Preps - Charmaine
Harpers Bizarre - Anything goes
John Barry - Hit and Miss (Theme from Juke Box Jury)
Adam Faith - Don't that beat all
The Everly Brothers - Problems
The Everly Brothers - Love of my life
Marty Robbins - Don't worry
Johnny Crawford - Something Special
Brenda Lee - You can depend on me
Elvis Presley - Wild in the Country
Earl Grant - The End
So many on Bill Kenwright's show have connections to Phil and Don, such as:

Duane Eddy, Ricky Nelson, Lonnie Donegan, Joe South, Adam Faith, Brenda Lee, Elvis Presley.

Bill is still the major share holder in the Football club (Soccer) "Everton" which is on the other side of the Mersey river to Liverpool but both clubs are in the City of Liverpool. The camera usually goes to show Bill to the TV audience when he is attending an "Everton" football match which he does often.

Bill is also very much involved with the West End of London, putting productions on the stage, he is very successful at doing this too.

In his younger days he was an actor in one of the UK's biggest soaps on TV.

Last year he wasn't too well for a while and so the radio show was held back for a while. I know he is a busy man and I am sure that is why this year there are only 4 episodes of his popular show "Golden Years".
Last update on November 18, 8:28 pm by Chris.
Amazing how many musical and personal connections that The Everly Brothers had over the span of their careers!!

It wasn't just joint appearances, but collaborations on composing, backing on recordings. and also solid friendships.

Duane Eddy, Ricky Nelson, and Brenda Lee have been cited in several other comments on this thread.

Thanks for the posting, Chris! The information is much appreciated!
SOUNDS OF THE 60's - 18th NOVEMBER 2017 - TONY BLACKBURN

What a treat we have had this week, The Everly Brothers had 2 songs played back to back on the Bill Kenwright show, then on this week's Sounds of the 60's show Tony played "Walk Right Back".
Great to hear that in 2 oldies shows one show 60 minutes and the other 2 hours we get to hear 3 songs from the Everly Brothers. Thank you to Bill and Tony.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/480x270/p05nc74...

12 artists with links to the Everly Brothers this week: -

Stevie Wonder - Uptight
Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
Roy Orbison - It's Over
Eddie Cochran - Three Steps to heaven
The 5th Dimension - Wedding Bell blues
The Beatles - Come together
The Beatles - Something
Four Tops - Bernadette
The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
The Supremes - Back in my arms again