The EBs' 1983 Reunion Concert

After a childhood of professionally singing with their parents on radio, and sixteen years after they hit it big with "Bye Bye Love," Don and Phil Everly ended their act as The Everly Brothers on July 14, 1973 at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA. Reportedly, for 10 years, the brothers barely spoke. Then, for two nights in London, September 22 and 23, 1983, Don and Phil reunited on stage at the Royal Albert Hall. The Reunion Concert proved to the world that Don and Phil Everly still had it. Thus began The EBs' Part 2 of their career. The brothers would go on to record three studio albums and tour for about 22 years.

This Forum thread is for all things Reunion Concert: favorite songs; beloved concert moments; observations; concert photos; video clips; pocket videos; etc. Feel free to add!

Here is Don and Phil rehearsing:

http://www.everlybrothers.net/video/1655/reunion-r...

Here is the full concert:

http://www.everlybrothers.net/video/1933/reunion-c...

The Reunion Concert band consisted of: Albert Lee (guitar); Pete Wingfield (keyboards); Martin Jenner (guitar); Mark Griffiths (bass); Graham Jarvis (drums).

The concert was filmed, with the first showing on BBC television in December 1983, and in January 1984 on HBO in the U.S. It was filmed by Delilah Films in association with MGM/UA. A DVD was released of the film. Audios in the form of CDs and LPs were released. However, the track listings vary among the formats. The track listings follow, per Chris' Fantasy Reunion song posting in Forum:

REUNION DVD:
Claudette
Walk Right Back
Crying in the rain
Cathy's Clown
Love is Strange
MEDLEY: Take a Message to Mary/Maybe Tomorrow/I Wonder if I Care as Much
When Will I be loved
Bird Dog
Be-Bop-A-Lula
Songs our Daddy taught us: Barbara Allen, Put my Little Shoes Away, Long Time Gone, Step it up and Go.
Bye, Bye Love
Wake up Little Susie
MEDLEY: Devoted to you/Ebony Eyes/Love Hurts
(Til') I Kissed you
All I have to do is dream
Temptation
Lucille
Let It Be Me

REUNION CD:
The Price of Love
Walk Right Back
Claudette
Crying in the Rain
Love is Strange
MEDLEY: Take a Message to Mary/Maybe Tomorrow/I Wonder if I Care as Much
When Will I be Loved
Bird Dog
MEDLEY: Devoted to You/Ebony Eyes/Love Hurts
Songs our Daddy Taught us: Barbara Allen, Lightning Express, Put My Little Shoes Away, Long Time Gone, Down in the Willow Garden, Step it up and go.
Cathy's Clown
Gone, Gone, Gone
You send me
So Sad (To watch good love go bad)
Baby What You Want me to Do (listed on CD as Blues Stay Away From Me)
Bye, Bye Love
All I Have to Do is Dream
Wake up Little Susie
(Til') I Kissed You
Temptation
Be-Bop-A-Lula
Lucille
Let It Be Me
Encore: Good Golly Miss Molly

VINYL LP:
The Price of Love
Walk Right Back
Claudette
Crying In The Rain
Love Is Strange
MEDLEY: Take a Message to Mary/Maybe Tomorrow/I Wonder If I Care as Much
When will I be Loved
So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
Bird Dog
Be-Bop-A-Lula
Songs our Daddy taught us: Lightning Express, Put My Little Shoes Away/Step it up and go
Bye, Bye Love
Gone, Gone, Gone
All I have to do is Dream
Wake up Little Susie
MEDLEY: Devoted to You/Ebony Eyes/Love Hurts
Cathy's Clown
(Til') I Kissed You
Temptation
Lucille
Let It Be Me
Encore: Good Golly Miss Molly

Last update on July 6, 7:18 am by Mary.
Great thread, Mary, thanks. I might be adding of few of my pics here. The Reunion Concert is my all time favorite of Don & Phil. It is so warm and heartfelt, it gives me goose bumps every time I watch it. It just thrills me to death that they got back together...how it should be.

Last update on January 17, 8:58 pm by Pat Edwards.
This has always been a favorite picture of mine. They are so pleased with each other and the audience.

"You never get old with Rock n Roll".

Remember this...adjusting the bow tie!

“I’d love to snip those years out of my life. Re-edit my life, rearrange it if I could, reassemble my life like a film. I’d like to put those ten years on another planet.”
— Don Everly on his 10-year separation from brother, Phil

“Phil, 44, said if Don hadn’t called, he would have. ‘I’d have figured out some excuse to get together. Maybe I’d have broken my car down in front of your house. It was something I wanted resolved, even if there was no music,’ Phil said.”
— Don, Phil Everly to Protect Their New Relationship (March 9, 1984)

"The experiences that Don and I have had over the last two nights are so rare, I don't know if we will ever have another two nights like this for the rest of our lives, whatever happens. I thank you all for it, it has just been unbelievable. Thank You."
-- Phil, onstage the second night, Reunion Concert

"I wonder if it still works!"
-- Don, during the talking interlude of "Love Is Strange"

Albert Lee:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5862261/the...

The original 1983 Telegraph (UK) review:

By Charles Clover

The young groups keep splitting up, the older ones seem to be getting together again.

Last week saw the brief teaming-up of the Yardbirds guitarists Clapton, Page and Beck, and other guests, playing distinctive cameos from their separate careers. Then came an event of even greater potency, the apparently lasting reunion of Don and Phil Everly, the ultimate Fifties pop duo, who were thought not to have passed the time of day for 10 years.

Though surprising, there was no doubt that their reconciliation concert, held for sentimental reasons at the Albert Hall, was a triumph. Looking neither young nor old, two smooth well built figures in dinner jackets with acoustic guitars, the Everlys (Don 46, Phil 44) performed a catalogue of their hits with such immaculate phrasing and delicate, glistening harmonies that it was as if hearing them for the first time.

History has now vindicated the well-crafted pop song, and the Everly’s songs have lasted better than many of the self-penned efforts of their Sixties imitators, Dylan, the Byrds, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young included. Given added punch by an English rock band including the excellent Albert Lee on guitar and Pete Winfield on piano, the Everlys ranged from the folk songs their father taught them, through slightly syrupy country like Devoted To You, to their greatest and most inimitable songs, All I Have To Do Is Dream, Bye Bye Love, Bird Dog, Cathy’s Clown.

Their now mellower voices, Phil’s as always about a third of a note higher than Don’s, reinvested the songs with the idealism and heartache which made them great, and the band gave a lean backing of irrepressible bounce. It was a performance with a sense of occasion. And with Phil’s hit with Cliff Richard still in mind, there is no reason why the Everlys should not be successful all over again.
Last update on January 18, 8:21 am by Mary.

The last pocket video has one of my favorite moments from the Reunion Concert: What does Phil whisper to Don???? Maybe, "We did it! Man, I need a drink!" LOL
Last update on January 17, 9:58 pm by Mary.
Even though they didn't sing "Kentucky" at the Reunion concert they rehearsed it. Many of us would have loved to have had it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N693X6g7mE0
Their first song on the DVD and it shows them walking down the steps at the start. Love this moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7dtO1IXVhM

Apparently this link does not work for US members but it does for everyone else, sorry US.
Last update on January 18, 4:28 pm by Chris.
Chris, your last link is blocked for the U.S.
Lenore
Mary said...

Pat, I am pretty certain your last photo, the only b/w one, is not from the Reunion Concert. Don's hair is a lot longer, and a few band members are different. It is from a post-Reunion concert

You may be right, Mary, so I will delete it only because this thread is The Reunion.

Pat, Chris, and all: remember the sharing of the yellow brotherly towel? It was during the "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us" medley, on the stools, and we commented on it and enjoyed it in the past when the whole concert was on YouTube. It is one of my favorite Reunion Concert moments. This concert clip, above, does have the yellow towel. Phil uses it when they are first on the stools, then we can see it onstage behind the brothers. Either the YouTube clip had portions from the other night, or the sharing of the towel is edited out? For those who may not have seen it, Don motions, between songs, behind them for the towel, and Phil jumps up to get it. Phil wipes his face, then hands it to Don who then wipes his face. Aaaww, sweet!! Smile
Last update on January 18, 9:06 pm by Mary.
Yes, I remember the "yellow towel" conversation, Mary. That towel shows up a few time through the concert. At one point, Don picks it up off of the floor.
Chris, all your clips work for me here in Canada. Thanks for posting them.
Don is talking to the audience while Phil listens.

One of Chris' favorite moments, of The EBs walking down the steps, is viewable at the very beginning of the full concert in the link at the top of this thread. This full concert link works for us in the U.S. They kick off the concert on DVD with "Claudette."

Great photos you are posting, Pat! I love the dual bow tie adjusting too!!
Last update on January 18, 9:14 pm by Mary.