Concerts by the EB's and solo

Exhibit at the Iowa Rock 'n' Roll Music Association Museum in Arnolds Park, IA.

From the Iowa Rock 'n' Roll Music Association Facebook page:
"DID YOU KNOW? Our 2003 inductees The Everly Brothers held the attendance record (4,000!) at the Roof Garden Ballroom (below, in Arnolds Park, IA) for eight years, from 1962 to 1970."

Last update on March 11, 8:36 pm by Mary.
Attachments
The Everly Brothers, who both spent their formative years in Shenandoah, IA, played the Roof Garden Ballroom every year for seven years straight.

After a tornado demolished a portion of the ballroom in 1968, Oleson rebuilt the Roof Garden. However, Olesen tragically died in a plane crash in 1972. Fewer and fewer bands played the Roof Garden Ballroom after that. The ballroom fell into a state of disrepair and along with the amusement park next door, the Roof Garden closed for good in 1987. A year later, local fire departments burned down the original Roof Garden Ballroom for practice.

The above photo is of the original roof garden before it caught fire.
In 1989, some local people helped restore the amusement park, and then a few years later a new ballroom was built just south of the original Roof Garden. This is where the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has their induction ceremonies, and the museum has bands come in and play for the Roof Garden's "Rock the Roof" Thursday night shows during the summer months.

Connie Mueller took us into the new ballroom and told us that they get about 1200 to 1500 people each Thursday night through the summer months when they have the "Rock the Roof" events. There is also an outdoor stage in a park to the east of the shops opposite the museum that features bands on Friday and Saturday nights through the summer. Connie told us that even with the attached reception hall on the north side of the new Roof Garden Ballroom, the total square footage of the entire building is smaller than the original Roof Garden.

Interestingly, we were told by a lady working with Connie Mueller that day that the creaky floor we were standing on in the center to the front of the museum was a restored piece of the old floor at the original Roof Garden Ballroom. "They found it in a heap after the original Roof Garden was gone," she told us. "This part of the floor was the biggest piece they could find, but it was covered in bird poop and sort of weathered from the elements." She said when they built the museum they put the floor in to be part of the display. "So you can say you actually stood on the floor of the Roof Garden Ballroom," she proudly exclaimed.

So it wasn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame out in Cleveland (a place that we visited about 8 years ago). It took us about 30 minutes, tops, to go through the museum - and that included looking around the new Roof Garden Ballroom and chatting with the ladies in the museum. But for a kid growing up in a rock and roll culture of the 60's with three older sisters and an older brother that played rock music on the car radio or on the Zenith transistor radio that we had around the house, it was a pretty neat experience. I think it's definitely worth the buck a head admission fee. Heck, I would have paid TWO BUCKS to experience Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum.
Last update on July 30, 5:23 pm by Chris.
The Everly Brothers appeared at the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville in 1998

Knoxville is home to a rich arts community and has many festivals throughout the year. Its contributions to old-time, bluegrass and country music are numerous, from Flatt & Scruggs and Homer & Jethro to the Everly Brothers. For the past several years an award-winning listener-funded radio station, WDVX, has broadcast weekday lunchtime concerts of bluegrass music, old-time music and more from the Knoxville Visitor's Center on Gay Street, as well as streaming its music programming to the world over the Internet.

In its May 2003 "20 Most Rock & Roll towns in the U.S." feature, Blender ranked Knoxville the 17th best music scene in the United States.

Downtown Knoxville

Last update on July 30, 5:24 pm by Chris.
By Andrew Male January 7, 2014

BACK IN DECEMBER 2012 I interviewed Will Oldham about the album of Everly Brothers covers that he’d just recorded with Faun Fables’ Dawn McCarthy. We’re both huge fans of the brothers’ work – especially the beguiling B-sides and heart breaking covers they cut for Warner Brothers in the late ’60s – but, understandably, Oldham was deeper into their back catalogue than me and opened my eyes to a double live album I’d always assumed was but four sides of contractual filler. Of course, you should never do that, and 1970’s The Everly Brothers Show proves the rule.

Recorded live at the Grand Hotel in Anaheim, California on February 6, 1970, The Everly Brothers Show was produced by Lou Adler and saw the brothers backed by a crack team featuring Milwaukee guitar instrumentalist Sam McCue, Walker Brothers stalwart Al “Tiny” Schneider on drums and Robert Knigge on bass.

The Grand Hotel, Anaheim, CA

At first glance, the album appears to be little more than your standard live ragbag of ’50s Everly classics and rock’n’roll oldies – Maybellene, Suzie Q, Bird Dog, Wake Up Little Susie – but it also contains some stunning versions of more recent material – a hard-driving cover of 1967 single Bowling Green and a stripped-back, soulful rework of Lord Of The Manor – and a twenty minute medley that now ranks as one of my favourite side-long album tracks.

Talking about the Medley in 2012, Will Oldham said, “This is one of my favourite tracks of recorded music anywhere. It’s frantic. The one potential promise of jazz that didn’t seem to come into fruition was great musicians taking popular songs and just kind of riffing on them. It seems like that stayed within a jazz tradition. But this is close. It’s 18 minutes of going from one song to another with extended four minute bass solo section, three-minute drum solo section… When you listen to it you just laugh, because it’s insane, infectious.”

The concert was filmed, and sections were shown on the Everlys’ 1970 ABC TV vehicle, also called The Everly Brothers Show. This five-minute clip is taken from that medley and shows Don and Phil moving seamlessly from Chuck Berry’s Rock And Roll Music into Abbey Road‘s valedictory coda, The End. In light of the brothers’ acrimonious split in 1973 and, of course, Phil Everly’s recent passing, the sequence now feels incredibly moving, especially as everything Don Everly sang around this time was touched by shades of night. It could be just a cover. But given the brothers’ troubles, it could also be a gesture of reconciliation, an admission of guilt, an onstage taunt.

However you read it, the whole Medley feels like a conversation, a sibling narrative running between two brothers who, by that stage, had pretty much given up on talking to each other off-stage. If you don’t believe there’s something else going on here, other than the standard Vegas segue-fest, just watch how Don and Phil effortlessly glide from the saccharine hippie optimism of The Hair Soundtrack’s Aquarius into the cold, romantic pessimism of The Price Of Love and Joe South’s zero-sum game The Games People Play.

If that isn’t enough of a convincer, here’s Will Oldham on another highlight from the album, one without an accompanying Youtube clip, sadly…

“There’s one moment after everyone’s done their extended solo section that the whole band comes back together doing the Ticket To Ride riff, just for a second. You think that the musicians don’t know where each other are, and then they go back into their groove. It’s just one of the most intense pieces of music to listen to. That’s one I play regularly for people. Usually I’ll play it on tour in the van because everybody gets lost in it.”

The entire show is attached
Last update on September 15, 5:53 pm by Chris.
Attachments
1970 Wadena Rock Festival - Midsummer Event drew 40,000 at its peak - July 31st to August 2nd

Originally this festival was due to be in Galena IL but the venue was changed to Wadena IA

The Everly Brothers appeared along with many others at this 3 day event. This festival is shocking and interesting in equal measures. I do wonder what the Everly Brothers really made of this event in Wadena.

Because the 1970 Wadena Rock Festival was planned at the last minute, the only publicity posters used to promote it were photocopies of directions to the event on regular typing paper.

Dennis Naughton of Marion was so fascinated by what he'd heard about the rock festival at Wadena in 1970 he's writing a book about it.

WADENA — “It had all the elements, people, drugs, sex and rock ‘n’ roll, lawsuits, tripped-out hippies and parents looking for their runaways,” wrote a Gazette reporter who covered the Wadena Rock Festival in 1970.

The festival was supposed to be held in Galena, Ill. An injunction against Sound Storm Enterprises Inc. of Chicago, sponsor of the festival, put a stop to that, and the company began looking at sites in Wisconsin and Iowa in case its appeal fell through. They had invested $89,000 in the venture and were determined it would be held somewhere from July 31 to Aug. 2.

An announcement of the purchase July 25 of the 220-acre Clarence Schmitt farm, about two miles west of Wadena, by Wadena Development Co., an associate firm of Sound Storm, came as a shock to Fayette County officials.

They tried feverishly to get an injunction filed against the rock festival in the three days before it commenced.

We are not crotchety old men — instantly opposed to rock festivals — but we have no alternative other than to take action against the one planned in Wadena,” Fayette County Attorney Walter Sauer said July 28. Officials voiced concerns about safety, pollution and sanitation. The state health department was called in, while highway patrolmen studied traffic problems, especially the dusty gravel road leading to the site along the Volga River.

As the town fought to keep the rock festival from happening, it happened. More than 12,000 people already were at the site July 30 and thousands kept coming. At the peak of the event Aug. 1, the crowd was estimated at 40,000. The concert attendees told reporters they had known about the festival for several weeks.

A legal tangle surrounding the festival started Tuesday with an injunction filed by Supreme Court Justice C. Edwin Moore. The festival sponsor challenged it in Clayton County. The injunction was modified Friday to permit the festival if sanitation rules were met and a permit obtained. The tangle unraveled. Sound Storm rushed 100 portable toilets to the scene and several farmers leased farmland to Sound Storm for parking.

Festival attendees waiting in the scorching 90 egree heat for an afternoon without music, cheered the decision as the festival got underway.

Some of the rock groups that played in the continuous program were Johnny Winter, The Fuse, Illinois Speed Press, Rotary Connection, the Flying Burrito Brothers, the Chicken Shack, Mason Profit, Buffie St. Marie and Little Richard. Wine, beer and drugs were easily available along with sno-cones in the searing heat.

Gov. Robert Ray even made an appearance, telling the crowd to “have a good time.”
Many overheated attendees cooled off by skinny-dipping in the nearby Volga River.
The crowd was peaceful and drug use was under expectations. A Gazette reporter described it as “the social thing to do. For instance, the stage announcer kept asking for donations of drugs of any kind for the stage crew. ‘People, we want to be high just like you do,’ he put it. Donations came. Even the drugs at Wadena were successful. A doctor in the medical tent said the festival had ‘the best (most potent) drugs of any festival I’ve been to.’ But he also said there was far less serious drug abuse than most festivals.”

One problem developed Saturday when private planes, as many as 10 at a time, flew low and repeatedly over the festival grounds.

As the crowds dwindled Sunday night, Sound Storm was slapped with a $1,041,550 lawsuit because Attorney General Richard Turner said “everything Sound Storm Inc. has done has been illegal from start to finish.” The $1 million was for punitive damages, the rest to cover the expenses of law enforcement and staff of the attorney general and county attorney’s offices.

The Wadena festival and the ensuing lawsuit registered as the top Iowa news story of 1970.

All that was collected from the festival promoters was $22,500.

The farm, the sole asset of the Wadena Development Co, stood abandoned until it was sold at auction in 1973 for unpaid taxes. The new owner, Rex Niles, turned it into a cornfield, but still found remnants of the festival a decade later, including two sacks of marijuana in his barn.

The festival was repeated on July 29, 1995, at the Jerod Miller farm, one mile east of Wadena. It was restricted to 12 hours and 5,000 tickets to see bands such as Starship, Dr. Hook and the Edgar Winter Band. Most attendees were 35 to 40 years old. Relief from the heat was a water hose.

Last update on July 30, 5:27 pm by Chris.
Forgotten concerts:

Everly Brothers play free show at Mountain Park in Holyoke on August 13th 1965

The Everly Brothers were at a low point in their impressive career when they played Mountain Park in Holyoke in the summer of 1965.
Their chart success had evaporated after their enlistment in the United States Marine Corps Reserve in late 1961. The British Invasion in early 1964 was another nail in the hit-making duo's coffin.

Making matters worse, both brothers had been battling addiction to amphetamines.
Against that sad backdrop, Holyoke concert-goers were treated to songs that had been jukebox favorites in the 1950s: "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have to Do Is Dream" and Bye Bye Love."

Ray Kelly writing for "MASS NEWS"
Last update on July 9, 3:52 pm by Chris.
November UK Tour 2005 Artist: The Everly Brothers, Tour: An Evening with The Everly Brothers

EVERLY BROTHERS UK Tour 2005 Programme 20-page programme from the brothers tour in November, includes some great pictures of Don & Phil down the year, a superb fold-out centre page collage poster featuring photos, concert tickets, sheet music and records, an Everly Brothers time line highlighting the major events in their career, quotes from the lads, tour dates and single & album discographies - both with images of some of the records released.

Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow – 12 November 2005
NIA Academy, Birmingham – 14 November 2005
City Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne – 15 November 2005
New Theatre, Oxford – 17 November 2005
Carling Apollo, Manchester – 18 November 2005
St David’s Hall, Cardiff – 20 November 2005
Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham – 21 November 2005
Carling Apollo, Hammersmith, London – 23 November 2005
Royal Albert Hall, London – 24 November 2005
Colston Hall, Bristol – 26 November 2005
Bournemouth International Centre, Bournemouth – 27 November 2005
Regent Theatre, Ipswich – 28 November 2005

ACT 1 Set list: Green River, Kentucky, Bowling Green, So Sad, Claudette, Crying in the Rain, When Will I Be Loved, Devoted To You, Ebony Eyes, Love Hurts, Bye Bye Love, All I Have To Do Is Dream, Gone, Gone, Gone.

Sleepwalk (the band) Restless (the band)

ACT 2 Set list: Ike Everly Intro - Everly Family Show into, Don't Let Our Love Die, Silver Haired Daddy of Mine, Old Rocking Chair, Willow Garden, Long Time Gone, Blues Stay Away From Me, Till I Kissed You, Cathy's Clown, Wake Up Little Susie, Lucille, Let It Be Me, T for Texas, You Send Me

Band: Albert Lee, Pete Wingfield, Phil Cranham, Tony Newman, Pat Seivers

NOVEMBER 18 (MANCHESTER)

By Kevin Hickey

Just a quick word about the Manchester concert, we joined the queue to go in when a bus pulled up and flash guns started going off. As the boys always travel in separate cars I thought it was the backing band, but left the line just in time to see a shivering Phil in his soft hat and Don in his black Homburg (?) being ushered in signing a book and other items as they moved.

I won’t list the songs as others have already done this but there was a big surprise in store for only the Manchester concert goers. “I’m still Don and he’s still Phil came the usual and expected opening remarks from Don. But he then went on to say tonight “It’s Don and Phil and Graham I guess……….Graham Nash is here. We worked together on “Two Yanks” in England” – let’s bring Graham on. With that Graham Nash walked on looking very ‘casual’ sipping a bottle of water. Don said that Graham had told them that he and his sister, who was also in the audience that night, saw them at the same theatre 45 years ago. Don joked “Could it have really been that long”

He went on to sing “So Sad” with his arm around Phil and left the stage with much affection. I say left but I could actually see him in the background enjoying the rest of the concert. Don later called him back for a joint version of ‘Bye, Bye Love’. He bore little resemblance to his ‘Hollies’ or ‘Crosby, Stills and Nash’ days and was very thin with white grey hair, but a treat to see him.

The show started at gone 7:45 and the first half went to about 8:30 including two numbers by just the band. Although Albert Lee is great I had difficulty hearing the lyrics of his song and I think the technicians could have improved it. The 2nd half was about 45 minutes as scheduled but there was a definite encore included in that. The Ev’s and the group went off and returned very shortly with Don saying ‘We don’t like doing that but we’ve been told we have to’. So they didn’t realize we wanted an encore to show us of the short time left so we could savour it.

Dave and Michael Leadbetter, an Everly tribute act called "Two of a Kind" met Phil and Don at the Manchester Apollo on the 18th November

Fan Reviews
I saw this tour. Watching this now (my favourite song) is so poignant. The smiles between Don and Phil at the end say it all. RIP dear Phil Everly xx

Perhaps you weren't there when their sound hit our ears back in the 50's and the swell of world fame the Everlys rose to. Their contribution to Rock and Country is now legendary and it's apparent it will continue forever now. Their later performances, like on this post, show their gorgeous harmonies as sweet and tight as always. .... Ever the Everlys.

Spellbound is the word that comes to me. There I sat, spellbound, watching and hanging on to every word and action. I, too, never get tired of the Everly Brothers.

(comment for Manchester 2005) : I had seen them a few days before in Oxford I love them : so it was, so it always will be.

There's no doubt Sam Cooke's recording was a classic and Michael Bolton's soulful rendition was pretty good. The Everly's version was done in the heartaches and harmonies style we love them for. I was at this concert and they came back to and sing this song for an encore and stormed the place. (Unfortunately the soundmix on the video does not do the performance justice. If you get the chance, listen to the recorded version on the "Born Yesterday" album)

From The Guardian

First published on Tuesday 29 November 2005 23.57 GMT

"I'm still Don, he's still Phil, we're still the Everly Brothers," Don says, the brothers swapping over-excited grins. The clean-cut boys of burgeoning rock rebellion are now craggy pensioners. Phil is 66, Don 68, but their pioneering spirit remains. They don't just play the hits, they revel in their personal history. A tape of their father's voice on an Iowan radio show from 1951 is followed by a 15-year-old Don singing Don't Let Our Love Ever Die, before fading into the hushed harmonies of the brothers today.

Don describes the duo as "hillbillies" and the broad strokes of country in every classic song are turned vivid by the pedal steel guitar played by Paul Seivers. Sometimes it intrudes on the Everly's tender style, piercing the gentleness of Cryin' in the Rain and So Sad, but nothing interrupts the gleeful misery of what Don calls a "deadly medley" of tearjerkers.
Though they don't so much rock as gently shudder, the panicky pace of Wake Up Little Susie and thudding bass drum of When Will I Be Loved are still innocent thrills. But the Everlys' close harmonies, once entwined like silk ribbons, are ragged and frayed. No one expects Bye Bye Love to sound as pristine as it did in 1957. But watching Don struggle with his solo and Phil twitching as he adds high harmonies, is heart-breaking. Cathy's Clown turns from striking masterpiece to bland watercolour, the only drama coming in the still-innovative rhythm changes.
Still, as an evocative reminder of the essential of the power and beauty of rock'n'roll, the Everlys can't be beaten. If, as is rumoured, this is the last Everly brothers UK tour, it's a warm goodbye.

All the video clips are from the Carling Apollo Manchester November 18th -

Medley: Love Hurts, Devoted to You, Brown Eyes.
Songs Our Daddy Taught Us
Let it be me
Medley: Devoted to You, Ebony Eyes, Love Hurts
Medley: So Sad, Ebony Eyes, He Stopped Loving her today
Medley: Bye, Bye Love, Claudette, Devoted to You, Ebony Eyes, Let it be me, You Send Me
T for Texas
Green River - with the beginning of Kentucky
You Send Me

City Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne – 15 November 2005

Everly Brothers Live in 2005
Concert Review: St David's Hall, Cardiff - 20 November 2005

It had been about 10 years since I last saw the Everly Brothers and I was a bit apprehensive of what time may have done to their wonderful voices. Fear not, Old Father Time is protecting them well, he's obviously a fan of country harmonising. With a price tag of £50 a ticket, the boys need to perform well to keep the cynics at bay. The pressure was also on Albert Lee and the band as they must be the Special Guests the tickets referred to! Again, fear not, Albert is one of the top guitarists in the world and the other guys aren't too shoddy.

I'd seen a couple of photos of Don and Phil from earlier performances on the tour and "baby boy Phil" was looking like he was carrying a bit more than puppy fat. In the flesh though he looked really fit with the only extra weight being on the face. He was sharp in a suit and spats - he was born in Chicago so perhaps he was paying homage to Baby Face Nelson and the boys. Don looked amazingly fit and sounded better than he had for decades. He looked trim and handsome in jeans and jacket.

They opened the evening with three lesser known gems with Phil forgetting the words to the opening of Kentucky. It was so great to see the boys appear on stage that I saw most of Green River through tears stained eyes. A lot of the classics were done with the band being spot on with the most recent addition Pat Seivers playing some great steel. You could have heard a pin drop when the boys sang the ballads, such was the beauty of their harmonies. There is nothing to compare to them and it seemed obvious to everyone in the crowd that we were in the presence of God given talents.

Thankfully Don has changed the between-song patter, referring to Ebony Eyes as his favourite "plane death ballad"! He talked more about the various songwriters they've used over the years, giving mention to Roy Orbison and Boudleaux Bryant among others. They seemed very comfortable around one another and shared a few laughs. I know they've had more than a few differences and even travel on different buses, but onstage at least they are able to bury the hatchet and sing as one.

The boys left the stage for a quick break whilst Seivers excelled on a beautiful rendition of Sleepwalk and then Albert tore us up with a breakneck Restless. There was a brilliant addition to the show when the boys returned to the stage with just Phil Cranham on upright bass (the real man's bass). The speakers played a clip from 50 years ago, with their dad Ike introducing the Everly Brothers radio show. It was surreal to listen to Don and Phil as young kids whilst watching them in the flesh in their 60's. Don't Let Our Love Die played from the original show before the radio show died away and Don and Phil started singing it live. They sounded great and belied the advancing years. Silver Haired Daddy, Rocking Chair and Willow Garden followed in the tradition of their original Songs Our Daddy Taught Us album, and again, the place was enraptured by the sheer beauty of the performance. Listening to T For Texas and Blues Stay Away From Me left me feeling cheated that no record label is recording these legends today. I'm sure Nashville could find one label and a sympathetic producer who could revive their career much the same as Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash on American Records.

The night finished with a perfect version of You Send Me - boys, you certainly do. Although this was advertised as their farewell tour, I hope they have a change of heart and come back again. The world needs them, there is no-one else around who can harmonise like them. If they don't come here again I'll just have to close my eyes and relive those sweet vocals and count my blessings that I've seen them a half dozen times.

Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham – 21 November 2005

Royal Albert Hall, London – 24 November 2005

Bournemouth International Centre, Bournemouth – 27 November 2005

Regent Theatre, Ipswich – 28 November 2005

NOVEMBER 28 IPSWICH

By Richard Harrison

Ike joining Phil and Don as described below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InM22cmCfY

The emotional and physical downturn that results from missing the last train following a show that begins late is good enough reason to feel bitter. But I don’t. The show in Ipswich (probably the last ever European date in a career spanning almost 50 years) was an incredible occasion for both the Everlys and the audience.

Though I was surprised how Phil said nothing and how different Don looked to when I had last seen them (1997 in Edinburgh), the vocal harmonies were still there. The country-fied delicacies of ‘Green River’, ‘Kentucky’ struck a nice contrast to the up-tempo hits such as ‘Bye,Bye Love’ which I thought was sung with real gusto. The audience was warm from the outset and the first half simply flew by.

The second set – including an interesting appearance on tape from Ike Everly – provided proof if proof were needed that the Everlys were ending their long career on the road by harking back to its very beginning. Again featuring some lesser-heard Country-style songs like ‘Old Rocking Chair’ and ‘Willow Garden’, the second half of the show was also notable for amazingly energetic versions of ‘Cathy’s Clown’ and ‘Lucille’ amongst others.

Although Don sounded a little gruff, the aged sound to his solo pieces made a rather emotionally charged contrast to the strident youthful voice that permeated their 1950’s-1960’s output. As the show reached its conclusion (with a superb cover of Sam Cooke’s “You Send Me”) the theatre erupted in applause which, I felt, was partly due to the show and partly a salute to the Everly’s career. If, as indeed looks likely, this show was their European swan-song, then it was a fitting climax, even if there was no special attention drawn to the moment.

So – was it worth it? A frantic sprint through deserted Ipswich streets, a long wait for transport on a very chilly evening in late November and not getting back until almost 1:00am are one thing. The Everlys were another. Yes it was worth it.

The Everly Brothers finished their British tour in 2005 at the Regent Theatre in Ipswich.
They had planned more concerts upon their return to America, but these were cancelled and they never performed another concert together, this recording of "You send me" is the last song they played at Ipswich, and with the sad passing of Phil Everly it is the last Everly Brother performance ever.

Last update on July 28, 5:22 pm by Chris.
Attachments
Chris, your diligent research on the UK 2005 Tour has yielded magnificent results! [#68]

The photos, videos, and other tour information was meaningful in exhibiting the Everly Brothers' lengthy and fantastic musical career!

The reviews from both critics and fans signify how an individual's point of view and taste color these opinions! However, all in all, the greatness of the Everlys' legacy is undisputed! (as it should be)

There is a wonderful chunk of music history assembled here, and I hope that viewers will appreciate the data presented here!

PHOTOS THROUGH THE DECADES:

Last update on June 6, 3:51 am by Gloria Solis.
The Everly Brothers appeared in Calgary in 2001 at the Jack Singer Concert Hall, Calgary, Canada July 12th.

REVIEW BY : Brenda & Dave Harding

We were fortunate enough to be able to see the Everly Brothers when they were in Calgary on July 12th at the Jack Singer Concert Hall. What can we say!!!! It was a top notch show.

The brothers sang many of our favourite songs, with the audience singing right along with them. They were accompanied by the greats, Buddy Emmons on the steel guitar and Pete Wingfield on the keyboards. These men are famous in their own right and we sure appreciate their talent. We heard that this was the Everly’s farewell tour. We hope not, but sure understand, if it is. There is a time to slow down and enjoy life. It must be hard, being on the road.

Don was sure to mention, his friend, who just passed away, Mr. John Hartford and recognized his son, on stage, Jamie Hartford. He's plays a mean guitar. I think this young man will go places. Don also mentioned Chet Atkins, who passed away. You can sure tell, that both Phil and Don had great respect for the man. We all loved Chet, too.

Calgary gave the brothers a great welcome, understanding the talent that was before them. We will miss these guys, if they hang up their guitars, but I have a feeling that there will be many more Las Vegas Shows which we plan to get down to see. Don and Phil looked great, and seemed to be enjoying themselves with the audience and fellow band members. Sadly, the show was over much too quickly, and it was time to leave. We said a quick Hi to Don outside the Hall and complimented him on another great show and he thanked us. It's always been nice to say Hi to Don, but never seem to catch Phil.

Last update on June 19, 6:09 pm by Chris.
With reference to the UK tour of 2005 in #70 - here is a fan who actually saw Phil throw his guitar backstage to be restrung. I have asked for her permission to put this quote here.

"I'm sure it was Manchester the Appollo I was always lucky at all the concerts I went to, to get front row seats( liked to look up their noses!! ) I remember thinking when Phil threw it wow that's scarey hope someone is there to catch it. It was quite a spectacle. Obviously well rehearsed happy days lovely memories. I was very fortunate to go to so many concerts

I was really lucky to be able to do that, Philip my husband was very understanding about my "obsession " driving me to London and coming with me and my friend to the Albert Hall".

John Earl was the guy who caught Phil's guitar, it is said he missed catching it just twice.

Last update on June 30, 6:28 am by Chris.
An additional photo to #68 with reference to the UK Tour of 2005

Everly Site member MeFloody has contacted me to say that he also witnessed Phil throwing his guitar backstage to be caught by John Earl to be re-strung.

Thanks Mike. I can only imagine what a thrill it must have been to see Phil throw his guitar.

See #71
Last update on July 9, 3:56 pm by Chris.
This is a photo from the UK tour 2005 of a Scottish man playing bag pipes, I will have to edit this photo into #68

I’m still Don and he’s still Phil came the usual and expected opening remarks from Don. But he then went on to say tonight “It’s Don and Phil and Graham I guess……….Graham Nash is here. We worked together on “Two Yanks” in England” – let’s bring Graham on. With that Graham Nash walked on looking very ‘casual’ sipping a bottle of water. Don said that Graham had told them that he and his sister, who was also in the audience that night, saw them at the same theatre 45 years ago. Don joked “Could it have really been that long”[/b]

A photo that I got for the UK Tour in Manchester at the Apollo Theatre, it was small, then I found this one and titled it differently for whatever reason and lost it!! Now it is found, I will edit it into #68

Last update on July 28, 5:18 pm by Chris.
Very interesting to read some of the reviews of the last concerts. Have seen some before. My son recorded the whole concert in Cardiff on 20 November 2005 and tried via his geeky background to get it to be better than he had achieved on the night but it failed. I remember it well and wrote a piece for that other site with whom I had a lot of contact at the time. As someone said on here, Ipswich was the last concert ever and one of my main regrets is not seeing them in Vegas at the Orleans Casino. They were booked there and at one other venue later, I think it might have been in California somewhere. I did wander down to the Casino on the day and there were some photos of them on the walls as they had appeared there before. There was a kind of cooling on Don's dislike of Vegas after the reunion as nostalgia acts were very popular at the time. I went to see LeAnn Rimes instead as she was in one of the theatres, and Tom Jones appeared there often. I had seen him a few times here in the UK
We were booked to go to Vegas again this year but it got shelved. The price of entry to some of the shows is now astronomical as we trawled through the list of who was there