Homecoming Concerts

In quote #224 it brings home to us Everly Brothers fans just how much was raised over the years when they participated themselves in the Homecoming concerts. The 14th Annual Homecoming concert was Phil and Don's last, the explanation is understandable, the time was right for others to take over whilst the concerts continued each year.

From #224

The occasion for this "farewell" was the 14th annual Everly Brothers Homecoming, an outdoor festival which has raised enough money to establish a perpetual $100,000 trust to fund college scholarships, as well as purchase 83 acres of land where a local community college has been built.
A tribute to the EVERLY FAMILY, which honors Phil Everly in particular, as it was presented on January 26 of 2014, the month and year of his passing, to The Fans' Entertainment Hall of Fame for EXCELLENCE IN ENTERTAINMENT:

and presented to the Muhlenberg County Music Museum on January 18, 2014, the day before Phil Everly's birthday

PHIL EVERLY ~ JANUARY 19, 1939-JANUARY 3, 2014

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky ~ Live Press Release posted January 30, 2014

MCCONNELL HONORS KENTUCKY SON AND MUSIC LEGEND PHIL EVERLY JANUARY 7, 2014

EXCERPTS from speech:
I rise today to bid farewell to a Kentucky son who became half of one of the most enduring and influential acts of country and rock and roll music. Phil Everly, of the hit-making duo the Everly Brothers, passed away this weekend at the age of 74."

Phil Everly..."...especially beloved in their family’s home State of Kentucky, and particularly in Central City, in Muhlenberg County, western Kentucky, which was the site of the Everly Brothers’ Labor Day Homecoming Music Festival every year."

DID YOU KNOW that...
"Phil was actually born in Chicago on January 19, 1939. Nearly 50 years later, in 1988, the mayor of Central City gave Phil Everly an honorary Kentucky birth certificate. ‘I really appreciate you making me a full-blown Kentuckian,’ Phil said as he received it. ‘I’ve been lying for a lot of years.’"

I know my colleagues will join me in expressing gratitude and appreciation for the wonderful music that Phil, along with his brother Don, provided the world. The music of the Everly Brothers continues to provide joy to people to this day. Kentucky is honored to have played such a role in the shaping of this extraordinary musical family.

COMPLETE SPEECH WELL WORTH READING:
http://www.bereaonline.com/2014/01/mcconnell-honor...

Last update on January 29, 12:50 pm by Gloria Solis.
I would have liked to edit this photo onto Page 1 #5 at the V11 Homecoming in 1994 but the site will not allow me to edit this one in without me deleting the whole of #5 and re-entering it all in again. How long will this site be in this unacceptable state? Very frustrating and not good enough for a Phil Everly/Edan Everly site. RIP Phillip Everly

I even have to post information into a # then copy it and delete the original then re-post the new information. This is just not good enough for this site and unless we speak out about it nothing will change, everyone will put up with these problems, or they will leave and who could blame them!
A new photo from the Central City Museum

Billy Harlan appears to have written all the names on the photo and then signed it himself. I am guessing that he donated it to the museum.

a translation of what is written at the top of the photo in #230 re: Billy Harlan

"To my good friend in Spain... a real pleasure to know that Ana..(the rest probably continued on the back)

BILLY HARLAN ( on step) with the Everly Brothers in Tennessee

More detailed information about Billy Harlan, childhood friend of the Everly Brothers, throughout this thread!!
A couple of Homecoming photos, one to put in it's place in 1991 the 1V Homecoming concert.

How great to see the "millennials" discovering and appreciating The Everly Brothers! (ref #232)

At some point the Everly musical legacy can be called "classic" in addition to, or instead of "pioneering", especially after 60+ years!

CLASSIC ~ signifying "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind"

"Whether or not the actual recordings of the 20's-50's will remain relevant is certainly in question, but the influence which that time continues to have on modern music is something which is inarguable." Evan12203

Excerpt from the article from Texas Public Radio:
"Think of the album Foreverly as a musical equation. You start with Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day. Then you add Norah Jones. Then, you get these two very different musicians thinking about doing duets of music from a totally unexpected source: The Everly Brothers."

LINK TO ENTIRE ARTICLE: http://tpr.org/post/foreverly-yours-billie-joe-arm...

The previous comments attest to the fact that younger generations are actually finding that The Everly Brothers have something wonderful to contribute to their musical mindset!

Last update on February 11, 7:40 pm by Gloria Solis.
Reflection on the Shenandoah Homecoming in July of 1986:

"On the Beat: Remembering Phil Everly"
By L. KENT WOLGAMOTT / Column Jan 6, 2014

Excerpt from article:

"I met Phil Everly once — at a press conference when he and brother Don returned to Shenandoah, Iowa, on July 5, 1986, to perform in the town where they grew up and began their career singing along with their parents on KMA and KFNF radio."

Link to complete article:
http://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/on-the-...

Other references on Shenandoah Homecoming, see page 13, #186 and #195 (photos, details)

April 1, 1960 file photo from article

Phil (left) and Don Everly of the Everly Brothers arrive at London Airport to begin their European tour in 1961. Phil Everly died Friday, Jan. 3, 2014. He was 74.
Last update on February 12, 11:10 pm by Gloria Solis.
I know that Phil's designed plectrums are on show in the Central City Museum so these made into Necklaces should be kept here for a lasting photo.

A collection from the New Museum in Central City

Last update on February 18, 6:56 pm by Chris.
More marvelous memorabilia, Chris - thanks!

So much to remember and enjoy, still!