"Rock 'n' Soul," 1965.

Please feel free to add your comments/postings to this album thread.

Everlypedia:

"Rock ‘n’ Soul" - Originally released as WS 1578 in March 1965; the last album until 1972’s "Pass The Chicken And Listen" that was fully recorded in Nashville.

Don: “We took a lot of ‘60s songs and did ‘em our way. Normally, I like the original recordings, you know? But I think Phil and I had a unique thing – we’d do it our way. That doesn’t take away from the original record, you know?” (Quote Don from liner notes with 2005’s reissue of ROCK ‘N’ SOUL/BEAT ‘N’ SOUL.)

Side 1: That’ll Be The Day
So Fine
Maybelline
Dancing In The Street
Kansas City
I Got A Woman

Side 2: Love Hurts
Slippin’ And Slidin’
Susie Q
Hound Dog
I’m Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town
Lonely Weekends

The last link below is the whole album from Everly Brothers Albums in Forum.
Last update on September 27, 6:27 am by Mary.
Attachments

Liner notes:
Last update on September 25, 10:24 am by Mary.
Attachments
A very enjoyable album, along with Beat & Soul.
Lenore
I remember this album coming out as if it was yesterday. It was unique in that they had no original material on it but it was at a time when the records were not selling. I saw the boys in concert in Cardiff in the autumn of that year I think it was as I was just about to start work in that city. Cilla Black was the supporting act. I can almost remember the set but not quite. It was in the days when there were two performances, one at about 6.30 and one about 9.00pm. It cost about a pound and I went back in for the second session. Even though the Beatles and the rest had hit the scene the place was still full, they always had a strong following here. Happy memories. I saw it somewhere that the Crickets thought that their version of That'll Be the Day was the second best ever recorded. It was indeed a fine effort
Colin, it s so interesting to read your comments. You have been a true Everly fan for so long. So great to read about being at the concert and that the concert was still so full and they had such a great following even during the "Beatlemania" days.
Love the comment on the Crickets thinking thier "That'll Be The Day" recording was second best.
A 6:30 and a 9 pm show, my goodness they sure were hard working individuals, I guess most of the acts were then. The Everly's seemed to be touring and recording a tremendous amount of the time. We are so fortunate they recorded such a large volume of music for us, and possibly even more out there. So many singers today expect so much for such a small contribution.
Marion
Marion thanks for your comments
I played their stuff over and over for most of my lifetime
I think they toured in Britain after 1965 and before 1971 when I saw them again but I am a bit vague on that. I must admit that I needed to find something else after they split for those 10 years even though we had a few albums released in the late 70s with tracks not heard before. I moved on to a lot of West Coast Country started by Gram Parsons and everything that followed him after his death and this went on for many years. I was glad to see the boys reunite in 1983 but I could not get a ticket for Albert Hall. I saw them again in 1985 after they issued EB84
I was disappointed that they did not record much after that but differences still existed so they did not bother preferring to tour every 18 months or so. At least we got to hear some earlier recordings when the vaults were accessed. When you think about it they were pushed very hard for 16 years and their personal lives were affected separately with marriages and divorces. Some siblings do not get on. I had periods with my sister but glad to say that we got over all that before she died last year.
One other aspect used to annoy me a lot and others used to agree with me when these things were discussed many years ago, and that is that they were badly advised and managed so far as their recordings were concerned. I know they sold about 50 million but they could have achieved so much more if say Walk Right Back had been issued entirely separately to Ebony Eyes and there are probably another 10-15 examples of this and LP tracks being suitable for issue as well. But that is history
Regards
COLIN
Colin I sure agree with you that they were badly advised at times on song releases. I also often wonder why certain songs were not released as singles, and why certain songs were left off of albums. Was that Don and Phil's decision, or were they advised to do so? I also feel publicity on new releases was perhaps not handled as well as it could have been, times had changed. Their music was always amazing though and sometimes I wonder why it did not do better. There had to be a reason.
I read somewhere that Phil did not want to do thier last album, I can't remember where I read that and wonder if that was true.
Marion
Marion

I think you are right on the albums done after the reunion. There was great enthusiasm for EB84 but both Dave Edmunds and Phil Everly said much later that only Don was there for the second one and Phil did most of the work in LA. They did write their own stuff for a few tracks on Some Hearts recorded in Fort Lauderdale but in my view it was not one of their best efforts and some articles I have read since then indicated that Don wanted to record but Phil did not. Possibly the differences in life etc got in the way again as they were not in contact much apart from the tours. And it does seem that Phil was not well for quite a few years with COPD. My disappointment about the last concert in Vegas being cancelled owing to Phil's ill health are still with me. My daughter felt the same.
Whatever the true reasons for the success or "lack of" it, the Everly Brothers' work cannot be measured in numbers of records sold or places on any music (sales) charts. The fact that people (musicians, singers, and the general public) still talk about, revere, and play the Everly Brothers' music, together or apart, is a tremendous tribute to their talent and great influence they had and STILL have.

Whether there is a preference for their older songs , or later ventures, the Everly Brothers' astounding legacy cannot be diminished. It exists and continues to grow. Phil Everly's phenomenal impact on music artists up to the end of his life is proof of this. His gift of songwriting and harmony are still coming forth in various recordings being released now (See the Forum's Celebrating Phil Everly for details.)

It has been noted/quoted here and elsewhere, the accolades that Phil often paid to his brother's skillful gifts. Here is a beautiful acknowledgement from Donald to his brother:

"I first met Don Everly in the late seventies when he and I were singing backing vocals on a Guy Clark album. When I gushingly informed him that he was one of my favorite singers and that I was convinced John Lennon’s no-vibrato, vocal style was undeniably inspired by his performance of “Cathy’s Clown,” and, by the way, my natural vibrato was not something I was proud of, the older Everly said,

“Want to get rid of your vibrato? Try singing with my little brother Philip. Singing with him is like singing with a laser-beam.” by Rodney Crowell
(more about this in Celebrating Phil Everly page 24 #359)
Last update on September 27, 1:51 am by Gloria Solis.
Well said Gloria

I read a lot of these quotes now and to be honest I had never heard them before as they probably did not appear in the music press at the time in Britain, or I just missed them. There is a tremendous legacy and it is interesting that when I get to play something in the car apart from my grand daughter's stuff her friends do say that it is clear and not dated even though you have to explain who they were. Sadly you cannot dwell on it too long, keep it short as their interest does fade fast!! Did you notice that Lonely Weekends is missing from the set on the album?
What is also sad for me is that although those in my generation remember them clearly and have vinyl they are not in a position to discuss in in any depth. That is why this forum is vital
REGARDS

COLIN
Colin, "Lonely Weekends" is now on the song list. It was inadvertently left off the list the first time.
What you said above, Colin, is why I am so delighted my two grandsons have become Everly Brothers fans of sorts. Not full fledged, and that might be expecting a lot, but at least they listen to their music and a lot of it turns them on. The oldest grandson, of course, has been exposed to more of it, but the youngest is coming along very nicely. Smile Their ages are almost 9 and almost 4 (yeah, only 4!) The only way I push it is they have to listen to it in my car. I don't listen to radio in the car; only CD music is used in my car. I am so glad there is a CD player in my new car; I put off buying a new car until I could not do it any longer because I was afraid there would not be a CD player in it. Both grandsons are in my car a lot since I am their taxi driver. Smile They can't help but listen to it but I suspect it is more than that...they like the music, particularly the ones that are catchy, and we know the Everly Brothers have a lot of catchy music. My oldest grandson has also become a fan of the Everlys' EB84 and Born Yesterday albums. I have noticed there is not a whole lot of talk coming from them when the Everlys are singing. If there is, it's a question about the lyrics or some sound effect in the music. I am going to do the same thing with the baby granddaughter and hopefully she will be turned on with the Everlys' music too. My daughters and their spouses have admitted the Everly Brothers have very good music and are delighted their kids listen to good and wholesome music. We have noticed the baby granddaughter seems to quit her crying Smile when we sing to her. So that's a start. Smile
Lenore

From Everlypedia:

"Don: “My favourite albums on Warners could be "Rock 'n' Soul," "Beat & Soul," and "In Our Image." Those three albums. I like that series of albums we did in the sixties, which really never saw the light of day. That period is good.” (Liner notes for 2005's "Rock 'n' Soul" & "Beat & Soul" twofer.) Earlier he had stated, “I think the stuff we did on the "Rock 'n' Soul" and "Beat & Soul" albums was some of our best. That was our best period, I like the albums right through to "Two Yanks In England." Phil and I were writing together. We wrote "Gone Gone Gone" and then had quite a run of songs that were worthwhile but no hits.”
Last update on October 3, 1:17 pm by Mary.
Wasn't sure how to go about replying to your thread so hope Iv'e done it right! I have always thought that the brothers did some of their best work ever in the mid to late sixties when they were out of the limelight. There was another album from the mid sixties called "The Everly Brothers Sing" and had some great songs on it. The brothers were class throughout their recording career but I really think this period was as good as it gets.
Jamie, you did fine with your reply. Hope to see you more in Forum.
Lenore