Beginning to mid 1960's

Show of Stars 1957

Everly Brothers' first hit was previously rejected by other artists

Arts & Culture MPR News Jul 25, 2017

Today's Morning Edition music is from "Bye Bye Love" by the Everly Brothers which was number one on the Billboard country chart 60 years ago today.

The song, which launched their career, had been rejected by 30 other artists before the Everly's agreed to record it. It was written by the husband and wife songwriting team Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. They would go on to write many more hit songs for the Everly Brothers and other artists.

Click on this link for the story audio, 1 minute 27 seconds

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/07/25/everyly-b...

The 1st take of "Bye, Bye Love"
Last update on July 29, 8:20 pm by Chris.
Attachments
This Day in 1957: The Everly Brothers on The Ed Sullivan Show

Friday, August 4, 2017 - 50s - This Day In Music - The Everly Brothers

60 years ago today, the Everly Brothers made their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show and didn’t even get a lousy chance to meet Ed Sullivan.

Yes, that’s right, it’s a true good news / bad news story: they finally got their shot on one of the most famous variety shows in TV history, and it was on a night when Ed had a guest host. Thankfully, the host was someone who was a pretty big deal in his own right, at least for fans of musicals. Dan Dailey might not have been part of the burgeoning rock ‘n’ roll scene, but he’d sung his way throughout the 1940s and into the 1950s, appearing in films like Mother Wore Tights, You’re My Everything, My Blue Heaven, Meet Me at the Fair, and There’s No Business Like Show Business.

Having found tremendous success with their debut single for Cadence Records, the Everlys appeared on the show and performed two numbers: “Bye Bye Love” and “Hey Doll Baby.” From what we can tell from the clip, it looks like Dailey enjoyed the brothers’ performances, but what we know for a fact is that the Everlys’ stint in the big time was only beginning.
Last update on August 6, 6:15 pm by Chris.
Attachments
FABULOUS!! Phil is 18 and Don 20 in this appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show! (Quote #19)

They had such great energy, charisma, enchanting smiles, and overall gorgeousness!!
What a package! And to think it was only the beginning of worldwide fame that would last for decades!

The Everly Brothers are truly, unflaggingly legendary!

19th September 1968 at the Revolution

Keith Moon with Eve Slater, her husband Terry Slater (Manager of Amen Corner) Allan Clarke (The Hollies) Andy Fairweather Low (Amen Corner) and at the back Hilton Valentine (ex-The Animals) Lord Francis Russell and Lee Jackson (The Nice)

Quite a line up and a few that were close to The Everly Brothers

Additional information regarding the Everly brothers connections with Buddy Holly (see Quotes #10, #15 ):

According to Holly's biographer Philip Norman, they were responsible for persuading Holly and the Crickets to change their outfits from Levi's and T-shirts to the Everlys' Ivy League suits. Don said Holly wrote and composed "Wishing" for them. "We were all from the South," Phil observed of their commonalities. "We'd started in country music." (Probably a main reason why the Everly Brothers did not record "Wishing" is because they were under contract with Acuff-Rose Publishing Company and could only use songs from their company.)

RECORDING of "Wishing" by Buddy Holly: (You can understand why Buddy Holly wrote this for the Everlys - it would have been very successful!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztCHhIZZOY

LYRICS:
Wishing - that I could see you every day
wishing - that I could steal your heart away
Dreaming - of the time I can hold you tight
wishing - that the time would come tonight
I've been hoping all along - things would turn out right
if I could find a wishing star - then I would spend the night
I've been hoping all along - things would turn out right
if I could find a wishing star - then I would spend the night

Last update on August 9, 6:54 pm by Gloria Solis.

Using an early photo for the cover of this fairly recent released album from January 2017

For a list of the songs, this is the link:

http://ie.napster.com/artist/the-everly-brothers/a...

Last update on August 10, 6:28 pm by Chris.
Phil and Don arrive in London from New York to begin their European tour on April 1, 1960.

McCartney had paid tribute to the Everlys years earlier by including them in his Wings hit "Uncle Albert."

Last update on August 11, 6:08 pm by Chris.