Beginning to mid 1960's

Ten days ago I got the vinyl "A Date With the Everlys" it was more pricey than many other vinyls of the EB's, it is like a double album in that it opens up like some double albums do. It has many photos inside, I have only had the album on a compilation cd previously. This was the first time I have seen it for sale.

It was my lucky day because I also bought "Both Sides of an Evening".

I have had the "Gone, Gone, Gone" vinyl a while.
This is something new and interesting - I did think of putting this video link into video section.

EMAIL wabc1960saudiochain@gmail.com The difference between rich, warm, densely processed audio versus digital thinly processed audio could be the difference between you getting a recording contract, radio dj position or any other job where superior audio makes your hard work stand out. Whether it's your music project or an audition tape for a dj or any other type of audio, we can make your audio sound better, fatter, richer, warmer and denser by running it through our vintage 1960s 77 WABC, New York, audio chain. Today's world of digital audio sounds thin and boring and that's why many major artists buy and use vintage audio processing equipment to put back the punch that digital recording doesn't have. Listen to the density and richness on this song. If you'd like your recording to sound like this and have that bigger than life sound, EMAIL wabc1960saudiochain@gmail.com This was recorded through WABC's mid 60s audio chain but, with F. M. quality frequency response and some songs are in stereo. This is the best version of this song with the best audio quality you'll ever hear anywhere.

Last update on September 2, 7:06 pm by Chris.
Attachments
Condensed biographical information about The Everly Brothers' professional lives in the 50's.

(Matching up with the Buddy Star thread, his relationship with the Everly Brothers is highlighted here.)

"While in Knoxville, the brothers caught the attention of family friend Chet Atkins, manager of RCA Victor's studio in Nashville. The brothers became a duo and moved to Nashville. Despite affiliation with RCA, Atkins arranged for the Everly Brothers to record for Columbia Records in early 1956. Their "Keep a-Lovin' Me," which Don wrote and composed, flopped, and they were dropped from the Columbia label.

Atkins introduced them to Wesley Rose, of Acuff-Rose music publishers. Rose told them he would get them a recording deal if they signed to Acuff-Rose as songwriters. They duly signed in late 1956, and in 1957 Rose introduced them to Archie Bleyer, who was looking for artists for his Cadence Records. The Everlys signed and made a recording in February 1957. "Bye Bye Love" had been rejected by 30 other acts. Their record reached No. 2 on the pop charts, behind Elvis Presley's "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear," and No. 1 on the country and No. 5 on the R&B charts. The song, by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant,[13] became the Everly Brothers's first million-seller.

Working with the Bryants, they had hits in the United States and the United Kingdom, the biggest being "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have to Do Is Dream," "Bird Dog," and "Problems." The Everlys, though they were largely interpretive artists, also succeeded as songwriters, especially with Don's "(Till) I Kissed You," which hit No. 4 on the United States pop charts.

The brothers toured with Buddy Holly in 1957 and 1958. According to Holly's biographer Philip Norman, they were responsible for persuading Holly and the Crickets to change their outfits from Levi's and T-shirts to the Everlys' Ivy League suits. Don said Holly wrote and composed "Wishing" for them. "We were all from the South," Phil observed of their commonalities. "We'd started in country music." Although some sources say Phil Everly was one of Holly's pallbearers in February 1959, Phil said in 1986 that he attended the funeral and sat with Holly's family, but was not a pallbearer. Don did not attend, saying, "I couldn't go to the funeral. I couldn't go anywhere. I just took to my bed."
(courtesy of Wikipedia)

REFERENCE to INFORMATION on BUDDY HOLLY'S SONG."WISHING" - page 2 #22
Last update on September 4, 10:59 pm by Gloria Solis.
"Carol Jane" is a song that was recorded by The Everly Brothers in March of 1960 for inclusion of their LP, It's Everly Time.

The composer was Dave Rich, a prolific song writer and country singer from Kentucky, who performed often with Billy Harlan (a good friend from childhood of the Everly Brothers). On January 18, 2014 Dave Rich's son, Pastor (Enoch) David Rich officiated at the Mulhenberg County Memorial Service for Phil Everly after his passing. Carmel Rich is the wife of Dave. She was the first director of the Muhlenberg County Music Museum. (See the thread, HOMECOMING, in the Forum for details.Page 13, #181, 182, 183)

This video created by Sir Basil de Brush who can cleverly fit songs to dances scenes from movies, does it with "Carol Jane", and Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron dancing.

(See page 2 #30 for the EBs' "Donna Donna" treatment by SirBasildeBrush.)

RECORDING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd7wJgpldq8

Last update on September 7, 12:23 am by Gloria Solis.
"RIP IT UP" (by Robert A. Blackwell and John Marascala) was recorded and released as a single by The Everly Brothers in November, 1957.

The song was previously recorded by Bill Haley and His Comets and also, Little Richard, in 1956. (Little Richard's version went to #1 on the R&B Charts.)

As a single, "Rip It Up", did not chart in the USA or UK. It made it to #57 in Australia.

RECORDING of outtake from "Rip It Up":
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x247zy6

RCA Studio B

The audio posted here is a not-often-heard outtake of "Rip It Up". The song itself was intended for the Everlys' first ever album, The Everly Brothers (They're Off And Rollin' -alternate title used due to the LP introduction by Archie Blyer of Cadence records, who produced the album.).

Most of the songs on the album, The Everly Brothers, were intended for release as singles. The filler tracks were those un-released prior to compilation of the album. These filler tracks had to be done between tour dates.

Phil said, "We did a whole album in a week. We were running out of things we knew. So that created a little tension, because it didn't look as if we'd be able to finish the album before going back on he road."
(information courtesy of everlypedia)

The cover for this LP was by famous photographer, Jack Robinson

Last update on September 9, 4:40 pm by Gloria Solis.
The Everly Brothers' singing several of their hit songs from late 50s-early 60's, including "Rip It Up", can be viewed on videos from the TV program, Shindig, which aired from 1964-65.

Besides these videos, there are photos and background information ALL found on page 1, #1 in the thread, Shindig, Hullabaloo and other shows, in FORUM.

This video is from their SHINDIG appearance on November 18, 1964.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGq9Z31FkPQ

Last update on September 10, 2:57 am by Gloria Solis.

Last update on September 14, 6:28 pm by Chris.
"HEY DOLL BABY", recorded by The Everly Brothers in Nashville, August 15, 1957, was intended for inclusion in their debut album, The Everly Brothers (aka 'They're Off and Rolling'). See #36.

AUDIO recording of demo for "Hey Doll Baby". It is said that this demo was helpful in convincing Cadence Records to sign Don and Phil to a recording contract.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_uHB2P0E_w

Regarding this song and the Everlys' early influences:
(quotes from liner notes of 2006, Studio Outtakes)

Phil said, "We were doin' "Hey Doll Baby" when we played. What we were doin was a little left of country music, you know."
Don stated, "I had been listening to all these blues stations. So that was what that was all about. We were definitely influenced by a lot of black music, just as our father was. Then a lot of country music, what I considered the greatest of the great: the golden age of country. Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, and people like that."

LYRICS for "Hey Doll Baby" by Titus Turner

Hey doll baby, can we have a little talk together
I want to tell you all about my troubles
What you've been doin' since your man's been gone
Show me how you feel since your man's back home
Hey doll baby, listen to me
Hey doll baby, there's a coat hangin' in my closet
Can't you remember when I bought it?
Tell me that your brother was here today
Don't want to take it no other way
Well I was the man that made you
That's why I'll never dread you
You walk around nude, lookin' so fine
Just about makes me lose my mind
Hey doll baby, make up your mind for love's sake
and we've got no time for mystics
I'm gonna roll back the rug and let up the door
Ain't gonna leave you never no more
Hey doll baby, hey doll baby

Last update on September 14, 11:03 pm by Gloria Solis.
Singing at one microphone.

Last update on September 15, 7:11 pm by Chris.
A Rare Still Photo of The Everly Brothers (in color)
(not 'colorized')

Last update on September 20, 3:02 pm by Gloria Solis.