Beginning to mid 1960's

THE EVERLY BROTHERS reminiscing about their early days...

segment of DOCUMENTARY INTERVIEW 1983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSKXXtuHlK8

Beginnings

Radio Stars

Early TV appearance (?)

In Studio

An Early Influence

Everly Brothers' 1st Single -78 rpm

Audio Recording of 1st Everly Brothers' single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BprZKJbZYyE
Coupled with the REMINISCING THEME from #46, John Gilliland created a documentary, "The Pop Chronicles" (Tennessee Firebird: American Country Music before and after Elvis).

"Conceptualized in 1967 after attending the Monterey International Pop Music Festival, John Gilliland’s “The Pop Chronicles” traces the history of popular music from the 1950’s through the 1960’s. Mr. Gilliland wrote, narrated and produced these 55 hours of broadcasting first airing at KRLA Pasadena, CA. in February 1969. The pop music history is told by an interleaving of Mr. Gilliland’s narration, music, and comments from the interviews of the people directly involved in the music scene of the day. The guests are: Chet Atkins, Ernie Ford, Merle Travis, Marty Robbins, Roger Miller, Hank Williams Jr. and others." UNT (link at end)

THE EVERLY BROTHERS' MEMORIES RECORDED INTERVIEWS about 1967-68

SHOW # 9 TRACK #4 HANK WILLIAMS, CHET ATKINS, and THE EVERLY BROTHERS (@ around 10:23 mark)
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1...

SHOW #9 TRACK #5 THE EVERLY BROTHERS (main interview) about 7 minutes

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, DIGITAL LIBRARY
Last update on October 1, 7:01 pm by Gloria Solis.
Another very interesting piece Gloria, although I cannot access the tracks from the digital library, it is most likely barring the UK from listening!! Unhappy

"WALK RIGHT BACK" Another Buddy Holly-Everlys connection.

Holly guitarist [Sonny] Curtis wrote this buoyantly optimistic post-breakup song, a No. 7 hit in 1961.

(from the list of Essential Listening , see page 2 #27 and #28)

LIVE VIDEO RECORDING of "Walk Right Back" on Tennessee Ernie Ford Show -4th of April 1961:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KAxu27NGE4

when Don sang a different lyric...

Last update on October 10, 2:18 am by Gloria Solis.
The photo where Phil looks over at Don when he got it wrong, the photo captures the moment very well.
Last update on October 16, 3:50 pm by Chris.
One of the earliest national television appearances for The Everly Brothers was on the very popular Ed Sullivan variety show, on August 4, 1957, with Dan Daily as host.

Don was 20 and Phil 18. They are the epitome of cuteness and exciting talent! They handled themselves so professionally and graciously! So very much in sync - breathing, bowing, and flipping their guitars over their heads!

The Everlys sang their then explosive hit, "Bye Bye Love", followed by "Hey Doll Baby"!
(Details on "Bye Bye Love" - page 2 #19, 20
Details on "Hey Doll Baby" - page 3 #36, 39)

VIDEO RECORDING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxSdHWqtVs

FROM - "BYE BYE LOVE":

FROM - "HEY DOLL BABY":

Last update on October 12, 9:16 pm by Gloria Solis.
PRINTER'S ALLEY - NASHVILLE

Last update on October 17, 7:22 pm by Chris.
Glenn Ernest Tubb was married to Mary Sue (Don's 1st wife) for over 40 years and after she died he later married Dottie Snow, the widow of Hank Snow.

This is from Ernest as he was mostly known as:

“I was thinking today about a lot of my old friends who used to gather with me and others in the coffee shop of the Clarkston Hotel, next door to the National Life & Accident Insurance Company building on 7th Avenue north, which was where the WSM Radio studios were. The all night disk jockey shows were broadcast from there, as well as The Friday Night Frolic, which later became the Friday Night Opry. Two of those people hanging out there were Don & Phil Everly. Sometimes they would need a ride home out in Madison. I would volunteer to drive them home so I could listen to them sing. They were always trying out different harmonies and asking me which one I thought was best. I didn't know a thing about harmonies back then and I still don't. I would tell them they all sounded good, because they did. Whatever came out of their mouths was just pure magic. I did an early morning TV show with them when they first came to town. I remember talking to their parents, Margaret and Ike after the show. They said they were staying out in the Madison area, so they could be close to downtown, where all the action was. There was no "Music Row" at that time. I recall when Jimmy Dickens needed a band to meet him over in North Carolina. He had been playing shows out in the northwest and one of the bookers booked a show all the way across the country for the next day after a date in North Dakota. I can't recall the booker who called me and asked if I could put a band together and go front a show for Little Jimmy. It was probably Joe Wright or Eddie Crandall who called. Anyway he asked if I knew of another act that I could take to beef up the show a little and I sad yes; there's the Everly Brothers. They've got a new record coming out that really sounds hot; it's called "Bye Bye Love". So, we all took off for North Carolina and I had them boys singing nearly all the way to the Smokies. I didn't know what parts they were singing but I knew it sounded real good. The folks in North Carolina thought so too. A few weeks later, those boys were super stars. So much talent. The boys broke up the act many years ago but we will always have their music, recorded for generations to come. Phil Everly has passed away and we will mourn the loss of his sweet spirit but we can celebrate his talent each time we play one of the many great songs they recorded for us. RIP Phil. I pray that Patti, Venetia and the entire family will feel the comforting embrace of the Holy Spirit during this time of such a great loss.”

TUBB, Mary Sue Died August 24, 2008. She was born September 29, 1937, a fifth generation Nashvillian. She was a member of the D.A.R. She was a friend to all of God's creation. She is survived by her husband of 46 years, Douglas G. Tubb; her daughter, Venetia Everly; her grandchildren, Arabella and Stirling Everly; cousins, Dan and Libby Gibson and cousin, Helen Matthews. Memorial services at Ernest Tubb Troubadour Theatre on Opryland Dr., at 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 30, 2008. MOUNT OLIVET FUNERAL HOME & CEMETERY.
Last update on October 19, 4:06 pm by Chris.

Last update on November 3, 6:25 pm by Chris.

Last update on November 6, 5:15 pm by Chris.
Phil and Don in a comic strip

"Remember the Everly Brothers' first number one hit song?"
STARTS AT 60 WRITERS OCTOBER 14, 2017 ENTERTAINMENT(reference:https://startsat60.com/entertainment/remember-the-everly-brothers-first-number-one-hit-song)

"The Everly Brothers were one of the first groups to bring harmony singing into the charts...It was when Don turned 18 (and Phil, 16) that they started working as songwriters, but they didn’t have much luck to start. A change of record company, and work with Chet Atkins and a song writing team they were soon on the path to success.

While their first song ‘Bye Bye Love’ was their first big song it wasn’t their first number one hit. It only reached number two on the charts. Nothing to sneeze at, but still not at the top. That honour goes to ‘Wake Up Little Susie’, which reached number one in the Billboard pop charts on October 14 in 1957. It was a song that caused a little controversy at the time. Do you remember the lyrics? [see below]

While the songs doesn’t discuss teenage sex it was thought to hint at it, which resulted in the song even being banned in Boston at one point, until it’s popularity took over.

Which is your favourite song by the Everly Brothers?"

Original recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZvDReUkuHc

Live video recording, 1957:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1fImXAeS-s

LYRICS
Wake up little Susie, wake up. wake up little Susie, wake up.
The movie wasn’t so hot, it didn’t have much of a plot
We fell asleep, out goose is cooked, our reputation is shot
Wake up little Susie, wake up little Susie

What are you gonna tell your mama, what you gonna tell your pa
What are you gonna tell your friend when they say oh la la

Well I told your mama that you’d be back by ten
Now Susie, baby looks like we goofed again
Wake up little Susie, wake up little Susie, we gotta go home.

Wake up little Susie, wake up. wake up little Susie, wake up.
The bullfrog’s sound asleep, wake up little Susie and weep
It’s four o’clock and we’re in trouble deep

Live recording on the Ed Sullivan Show, 1957:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLF4UiExdM4

MORE on "Wake Up Little Susie" (see #57 for previous information)

from Rolling Stone Magazine interview with the Everly Brothers, by Kurt Loder,
May 8, 1986

excerpt:The Everly Brothers: The Rolling Stone Interview

"In August 1957, the Everly Brothers cut their second single: the Bryants' "Wake Up Little Susie" (Boudleaux had dreamed it up on the way to a meeting with the brothers), backed with a song Don and Phil had written, the hauntingly beautiful "Maybe Tomorrow." Like its predecessor, it would quickly capture the Number One spot on the country chart and also go top pop ("Bye Bye Love" had made it to Number Two). On September 6th, the Everlys embarked on an eleven-week, seventy-eight-city U.S. tour mounted by promoter Irvin Feld – a classic rock & roll roadshow that also featured Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, the Crickets (fronted by the as-yet-unbilled Buddy Holly), the Drifters, LaVern Baker, Clyde McPhatter, Eddie Cochran, Paul Anka and Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, all backed by a hot black orchestra from New York led by Paul Williams. It was an unforgettable trek."

excerpt:

"Phil: 'We rode in buses – not like today's tour buses, with the microwaves and videocassette players – just regular buses. Paul Anka and Frankie Lymon used to sleep up in the luggage racks, you know? And LaVern Baker stretched out across the aisle with suitcases in between the seats. Now, LaVern was as sweet as anybody could be – she'd sew buttons on for us and things. But nobody would ever wake LaVern if she was sleeping, because she got …. well, a little cranky. I remember once, we were crossing the border into Canada and everybody stepped over her real gingerly to get out at the customs station. The customs officer said she had to get out too. He went on to wake her up, and she called him words – combinations of words – I'd never heard'."

"WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE" follow up to #57,58

Within 6 weeks of its release, "Wake Up Little Susie" topped the charts (Pop, Country, R&B):
USA #1
UK #2
CANADA #1
AUSTRALIA #3
In the USA it remained on the charts for 26 weeks and about 2.5 million copies were sold!

The Bryants, Beaudleau and Felice, composers of the song, written specifically for the Everly Brothers,
re-did the initial lyrics. Felice had the couple fall asleep during a movie that was apparently boring, in order to lend an innocence to the story. The record was banned in Boston, and some radio stations got the wrong idea and refused to play it.

Don stated:"It was this record about the kids waking up at the movies. It didn't dawn on me that someone would get the wrong impression about that, and figure we were corrupting the youth."

However it became a huge national and international hit at that time 1957 (initial release September, 1957).

Phil remembers:"Wake Up Little Susie" is designed to have a guitar riff."
Don recalls: "I had the arrangement before the song came along. I just all of a sudden knew we needed those hooks and stuff." (quotes from liner notes Studio Outtakes)

"Wake Up Little Susie" (side 2, track 3) was included in The Everly Brothers debut album, recorded in 2 weeks and released in 1958, The Everly Brothers ("They're Off and Rollin").

The song has been covered by many artists over the years. It was sung live on the very first show of the ABC TV show: Johnny Cash Presents the Everly Brothers 1970, on the double live album, The Everly Brotheres Show 1970, at the Reunion Concert 1983, and at many EB concerts world-wide.

First ever album, The Everly Brothers

2004 LIVE video recording of "Wake Up Little Susie" at Simon and Garfunkel concert tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Q6zg90dxk

Last update on November 8, 7:00 pm by Gloria Solis.