Buddy Star Day/Night/F.Guitar

A well researched piece from Gloria, I feel sure that Lenore will be interested in reading this, although I am not sure how far she lives from Lubbock. It is going to be a fantastic building on completion. Well deserved too, Buddy's music will live on forever.
The Everly Brothers and The Crickets appeared on the Alma Cogan TV Show (UK) in 1960.

The Crickets were the band for Phil and Don singing, "All I Have To Do Is Dream" .

Phil Everly, Don Everly, Joe B. Mauldin, Jerry Allison, Sonny Curtis

Live Video Recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s534wXy9MUs

Don Everly, Alma Cogan, Phil Everly

(Reference: see Forum thread - Shindig, Hullabaloo... page 1 #7)
Last update on October 4, 3:00 pm by Gloria Solis.
BOB DYLAN SPEAKS OF THE INSPIRATION OF BUDDY HOLLY

In his Nobel Prize for Literature speech from June 4th, Dylan explained the impact that BUDDY HOLLY had on him as a young man.

Nobel Lecture (excerpt)
5 June 2017

"When I first received this Nobel Prize for Literature, I got to wondering exactly how my songs related to literature. I wanted to reflect on it and see where the connection was. I'm going to try to articulate that to you. And most likely it will go in a roundabout way, but I hope what I say will be worthwhile and purposeful.

If I was to go back to the dawning of it all, I guess I'd have to start with Buddy Holly. Buddy died when I was about eighteen, and he was twenty-two. From the moment I first heard him, I felt akin. I felt related, like he was an older brother. I even thought I resembled him. Buddy played the music that I loved – the music I grew up on: country western, rock ‘n' roll, and rhythm and blues. Three separate strands of music that he intertwined and infused into one genre. One brand. And Buddy wrote songs – songs that had beautiful melodies and imaginative verses. And he sang great – sang in more than a few voices. He was the archetype. Everything I wasn't and wanted to be. I saw him only but once, and that was a few days before he was gone. I had to travel a hundred miles to get to see him play, and I wasn't disappointed.

He was powerful and electrifying and had a commanding presence. I was only six feet away. He was mesmerizing. I watched his face, his hands, the way he tapped his foot, his big black glasses, the eyes behind the glasses, the way he held his guitar, the way he stood, his neat suit. Everything about him. He looked older than twenty-two. Something about him seemed permanent, and he filled me with conviction. Then, out of the blue, the most uncanny thing happened. He looked me right straight dead in the eye, and he transmitted something. Something I didn't know what. And it gave me the chills.

I think it was a day or two after that that his plane went down. And somebody – somebody I'd never seen before – handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known. It was like an explosion went off. Like I'd been walking in darkness and all of the sudden the darkness was illuminated. It was like somebody laid hands on me. I must have played that record a hundred times." (via Buddy Holly website)

Live Audio Recording of Bob Dylan speech at Reception of Nobel Prize for Literature 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=105&v=...

THIS SONG (among many) MAY BE REFLECTIVE OF THE TRIBUTE THAT BOB DYLAN PAID TO BUDDY HOLLY IN HIS SPEECH as given above:

RECORDING of "Words of Love" (original) by Buddy Holly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bibSBoOAMRA

Many amazing aspects to Buddy Holly & his influence advances...
Last update on October 6, 3:35 pm by Gloria Solis.
TOM PETTY REMEMBRANCE

The Buddy Holly Educational Foundation
October 3 at 2:51am ·

"Sadly,following the horrors in Las Vegas,we find yet another great artist has passed on.
Thomas "TOM" Earl PETTY
October 20th - 1950 - October 2nd - 2017
A brilliant singer/songwriter and fantastic performer with the great Heartbreakers.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the Las Vegas tragedy,and to the family and friends of Tom.
To those who were brutally slaughtered enjoying a country music festival,and Tom Petty
May You All Rest In Eternal Peace
We'll celebrate some of Tom's wonderful songs at more a appropriate time."

CREATIVE CONNECTIONS
BUDDY HOLLY - SONNY CURTIS - EVERLY BROTHERS - TOM PETTY
Graham Nash briefly rejoined the Hollies in 1983 (to mark their 20th anniversary) to record two albums, What Goes Around and Reunion. In 1993, Nash again reunited with the Hollies to record a new version of "Peggy Sue Got Married" that featured lead vocal by Buddy Holly (taken from an alternate version of the song given to Nash by Holly's widow Maria Elena Holly)—this Buddy Holly & the Hollies recording opened the Not Fade Away tribute album to Holly by various artists.

Track listing
No/Title/Writer(s)/Performer(s)Length

1. "Peggy Sue Got Married" Buddy Holly Buddy Holly and The Hollies 3:52
2. "True Love Ways" Holly, Norman Petty The Mavericks 3:07
3. "Well…All Right" Jerry Allison, Holly, Joe Mauldin, Petty Nanci Griffith and The Crickets 2:15
4. "Midnight Shift" Jimmy Ainsworth, Earl Lee Los Lobos 2:55
5. "Not Fade Away" Holly, Petty The Band and The Crickets 3:25
6. "Think It Over" Allison, Holly, Petty The Tractors 2:58
7. "Wishing" Holly, Petty, Bill Tilghman, Sonny West Kevin Montgomery and Mary Chapin Carpenter 3:26
8. "Oh, Boy!" Holly, Petty, Tilghman, West Joe Ely and Todd Snider 2:46
9. "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" Holly Marty Stuart and Steve Earle 3:51
10. "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" Paul Anka Dave Edmunds and Suzy Bogguss 2:26
11. "Maybe Baby" Holly, Petty Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 2:47
12. "Learning the Game" Holly Mark Knopfler and Waylon Jennings

LENGTH 36.54 MCA LABEL Released in February 1996

Chart performance(1996)Peak position

U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums 19
U.S. Billboard 200 119
Canadian RPM Country Albums 11

Last update on October 19, 5:43 pm by Chris.
from Buddy Holly facebook: Tribute to Fats Domino

"A truly great original and totally unique R&B and Rock n Roll pioneer sadly passes.
Antoine "FATS" DOMINO Jnr
February 26th 1928 - October 25th 2017
What a legacy of music and influence to so many,including Buddy,this wonderful artist created.
Thank you for the songs,style and incomparable recordings you left us.
RIP "FATS" we'll never forget you."

I'M WALKING - BE MY GUEST - BLUEBERRY HILL - AIN'T THAT A SHAME - I HEAR YOU KNOCKING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqs5gkyH930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IYXby3Z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQCPrwKzdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JZW7zMDfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0X1kEPhqA

VIEWER COMMENT:
Steve Waller: "We all have to go sometime but the world is a sadder place now without 'Fats'. So much of modern music owes its existence to pioneers of rhythm and blues / rock fusion, and 'Fats' was a significant force in those days. RIP."

Buddy Holly, Phil Everly, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino have left the world, but left their musical mark.
Echo McGuire Griffith, Buddy Holly's first serious girlfriend, passed away, Sunday, October 29, 2017. She dated music legend, Charles Hardin (Buddy Holly) for five and a half years beginning in their freshman year at Lubbock High School.

An article from Lubbock, Texas news online offered a brief biography of the late Mrs. Griffith and her connection to Buddy Holly:
http://lubbockonline.com/entertainment/news/2017-1...

Echo McGuire

EXCERPTS FROM ARTICLE:

"She definitely was special...

[Echo] "regrets burning the many letters Buddy had written to her while she was in college. “I thought that was the honorable thing to do,” she noted with a laugh. “I didn’t know he was going to be famous.”

[Ron]Griffith, Echo's husband, showed Patoski (reporter) the Echo McGuire showcase on display at the Buddy Holly Center. He wrote in Texas Monthly that the case includes “her frilly prom dress, the necklace Buddy gave her and the stuffed hound dog he and first performing partner Bob Montgomery signed.”

Long-time Holly supporter Randy Steele concluded, “Echo was devoted to the church and Christian causes. Buddy was into country and rock ‘n’ roll music."

Steele said, “Echo’s death is another sad reminder that the real-life cast of the life and legend of Buddy Holly is slowly leaving us.”

Buddy Holly (high school student?)
Last update on October 31, 11:35 pm by Gloria Solis.
Buddy Holly, The Missing Take
By Alanna Nash
VanityFair.com ~ January 29 2009

An ad in a boxing poster style from one of the first shows that Allen photographed.
January 19, 1958; Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, NY.

Fifty years ago next week, on February 3, 1959, the chartered plane carrying singers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper, fell out of the Iowa sky and crashed into the heart of rock legend. Holly was 22, and his death, coming as his career suffered its own kind of tailspin, became a metaphor for the end of ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll. Holly’s visage—an open, geeky face set off by the kind of heavy, black-framed glasses that Elvis Costello would later recast as cool—is well-known. But VanityFair.com has unearthed a number of fresh images, most of them never before published in America, that point up the private side of the Lubbock, Texas, native, and the toll that incessant touring took on the young musician.
Lew Allen was an 18-year old photography major when he toted his camera to the Auditorium Theatre in Rochester, N.Y., on January 19, 1958. The shy, lanky novice, lugging his 4x5 Speed Graphic camera and a 16-pound electronic flash through the snow, hoped to get some shots of Holly, the Everly Brothers, and other stars of the “Rock Party” tour to satisfy an assignment for his photo class at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Instead, he ended up bringing home what Holly’s widow, Maria Elena Holly, would tell him were some of the finest pictures ever shot of the innovative songwriter-performer.

Arriving early, before the stars’ buses pulled in, Allen found the stage manager and showed him the candid shots of Elvis Presley he’d taken a year earlier at home in Cleveland. Impressed, the stage manager waved Allen through.

“I stepped up the stairs of one of the buses,” remembers Allen, now 69 and living in Phoenix, “and I couldn’t see any faces, because I’d just been outside in the bright sunlight and the snow, and it was dark in there. So I just pointed my camera and took a shot.”

What he got was a spectacular image of Holly, seeming dazed and somehow pre-dead, hurtling toward his own private destination, as his fellow musicians—Crickets drummer Jerry Allison, Frank Maffei of Danny and the Juniors, and Judy Shepherd of the Shepherd Sisters—animatedly swirled around him in pre-show repartee.

Allen would photograph Holly again the following October 15 at Rochester’s Community War Memorial, and most of his images of the rocker from both sessions--posing with a young fan, killing time backstage with his co-stars, raving across the stage—carry a sort of tender naivete of the era, as opposed to the cryptic, brooding, noir feeling of the bus shot.

The most telling image, however, is one Allen took outside the bus, as Holly steps down between the coaches. In both photos, Holly appears pulled out of time. But here he’s a dead man walking, holding a Continental Airlines bag, already packed for his destiny in an Iowa cornfield the following winter.

Allen, who still works part-time as both a photographer and a stadium usher (“more for fun than money”), is unsung in America. But in Europe, where his book, Elvis & the Birth of Rock, was published in 2006, his photographs are often displayed in museum exhibitions, including two current showings at the Proud Gallery in London and the Leinster Gallery in Dublin.

Still, at first not even Allen knew what a good eye he had. After his days at RIT, “I had rejected all those pictures, put them away in a box, and didn’t even think about them for 40 years, because they technically weren’t of the modern style that I learned in college. They were single-lit flash pictures, very flat, without a great deal of tonal value.”

But they were excellent for their time. And today they remain sharp, large-negative windows on a snapshot world of old that refuses, as Holly might have said it, to “Not Fade Away.”

Buddy Holly with Sam Donahue and his Orchestra.

Buddy Holly and friends backstage. Left to right:
Dion DiMucci, Jerry Allison, Buddy Holly, Duane Eddy.
October 15, 1958; Community War Memorial, Rochester, NY.

Buddy Holly and Don Everly backstage.

Buddy Holly arriving via bus (in center). Left to right in foreground:
Frank Maffei (Danny and the Juniors), Jerry Allison (Crickets),
Judy Shepherd (Shepherd sisters).

Buddy Holly with Continental Airlines flight bag. January 19, 1958;
Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, NY. Photograph by Lew Allen.

Buddy Holly and unknown child.
January 19, 1958; Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, NY

London Palladium TV Broadcast

Buddy and the Crickets backstage in London

Buddy's 1943 J-45

Last update on November 3, 10:01 am by Chris.
The Everly Brothers cover Buddy Holly's song, "Maybe Baby", during their post Reunion tour in the UK

Live audio recording of "Maybe Baby" sung by the Everly Brothers as a slow ballad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJH_8z6WUg

1st version of "Maybe Baby" by Buddy Holly and The Crickets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1BFIECB4g

[Here] released is the entire performance by Buddy Holly & The Crickets of, "Maybe Baby", live on the BBC's, "Off The Record" TV show from 1958. Only the audio survives.

Last update on November 9, 7:54 pm by Gloria Solis.
Gloria I saw that show, we were all sat waiting for him to come on and he was waiting at the side of the curtains ready to be announced, but the cameraman picked him up because he was standing too far out. Maybe he was doing that intentionally because the audience were going wild for him to come on stage. I will never forget it.

Buddy and the Crickets were equally liked with the Everly Brothers in our family.