Don's solo albums: "don Everly" 1970; "Sunset Towers" 1974; and "Brother Jukebox" 1976

Don released three solo albums, one in 1970 while The EBs were still a duo, and two during the breakup years.

All texts are from Everlypedia.

“don EVERLY" (the album) Don Everly solo. Recorded for Lou Adler’s Ode ‘70 label mid-1970 at A&M Studios, Hollywood and released as SP 77005 12th December 1970 in the U.S., February 1971 in the UK. It was Don’s first solo album and done while the Everly Brothers were still together (it would be another 2 1/2 years until the split on July 14, 1973).

Details in regard to each track are unknown but musicians on the sessions include: Don Everly (rhythm guitar); Ry Cooder (bottle neck guitar); Scott McKenzie (acoustic twelve string guitar); Chris Ethridge (bass); Max R. Bennett (acoustic bass – "Safari"); Sneaky Pete Kleinow (pedal steel guitar); Jim Keltner (drums); Milton Holland (percussion); Spooner Oldham (keyboard); George Clinton Jr., (organ); Paul Beaver (moog); Curtis Amy (sax); Debra & Peggy Clinger, Donna Washburn, Billy Al Bengston (backing vocals). Producer: Lou Adler.

Don: “An album I felt had to be done apart from my brother Phil because both of us have songs within us that, when done individually, will only enhance our sound as brothers. It’s very important and necessary for the growth of the Everly Brothers to go on as individuals.”

“The album served its purpose at the time. They were songs I had written over a period of time on my travels which really Phil and I couldn’t do at all. I was frustrated musically. We weren’t getting anywhere with our records at all. But it was done as an experiment only, it really was.”

Phil, however, didn’t quite see things this way: “I felt tremendously let down by Lou Adler, who was a friend of mine too. It was something Donald was doing and the private gossip between various women we knew at the time was, "That was it! The end of the Everly Brothers." I don’t really know what prompted Donald to do it. I never did understand and I never understood Louis doing it because I considered him one of my closest friends and we’ve never had any kind of relationship since.”

A truly magnificent, timeless album that did not get the attention it deserved from the public, it was however issued to critical acclaim, Rolling Stone magazine giving it a rave review: “don EVERLY" is not just another who-am-I-what-am-I album...It’s nearly as good as the Everly Brothers’ last studio album "Roots," with some mellow country standards, "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" and "When I Stop Dreaming," beautifully sung by Don with his mildly deranged tenor.....Don’s own compositions sound like "Wake Up Little Susie" if it had been written by the Incredible String Band......A very fine record and Don should rest easy that he can do nearly as good as both Everlys if he chooses. He has more than earned the right to spell"don" with a big"‘D." "

In Britain, as well, the reviews were enthusiastic. Disc and Music Echo wrote: “Don Everly without Phil might be compared to bread without butter or fish without chips. But wrong – the unique brotherhood still stands up divided and “don EVERLY,” the first solo Everly album in nearly fourteen years of hit making, is a great achievement.”

Side 1:
Tumbling Tumbleweeds
The Eyes Of Asia
Don't Drink The Water
Safari
Omaha
February 15

Side 2:
When I Stop Dreaming
My Baby
Thinking It Over
My Friend
Sweet Dreams

"Sunset Towers" (the album) Don Everly solo. Recorded in June and August 1974 for Lou Adler’s Ode ’70 label ay A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA and released August 1974 as SP-77023. The album was named after the Sunset Tower building in Los Angeles, the apartment where Don lived at the time and where jam sessions for the album had taken place; the album cover shows Don on a stuffed horse with Sunset Towers in the distance.

Of the 12 tracks on the album, 10 were written by band members from Heads, Hands & Feet who also played on it, their singer Tony Colton producing the album. Ray Smith rehearsed with Don, harmonizing on a few tracks, copies of which are circulating among Everly fans. Albert Lee, who would become a close friend of Don’s and has played with the Everlys countless times since then (he was part of their post-reunion tour), told biographer Roger White: “Don had to do an album for Ode and wanted me to play on it, but I was back in England when he went back into the studio. He did a couple of tracks and it turned into total disaster. I don’t think Lou Adler was really into what Don was doing and when I turned up he had more or less handed the whole project over to Tony Colton and lost interest. Tony Colton, being the pushy bloke that he is, took over everything. I really don’t know if Don didn’t have any songs at the time or if he didn’t have confidence in the songs but he ended up doing quite a lot of Tony and Ray Smith’s songs and there were just two of his own songs. He really didn’t have a lot of input. He more or less let Tony do what he wanted. Tony had a few points there. It was like drawing blood out of a stone trying to push Don to do the vocals this way or that way. It wasn’t totally representative of what Don could do but it’s a great album. He sang really well on it but, knowing what a great and unusual writer he is, that didn’t come across in those songs. He was confused at the time. Actually, it had taken a hell of a long time to get the breakup out of his system.”

Don himself admitted: “I didn’t get along with him (Tony Colton) at all, so there I was fighting with this producer I had to work with to get the project down. It was another painful experience. I did get what I wanted on that album. Albert (Lee) contributed a great deal. I think I am happier with “Sunset Towers” than I am with “Stories We Could Tell.”

When the album was released, Don told a reporter, “My work as a solo artist and writer has generated an enthusiasm for breaking new ground. I’m looking forward to the next LP to generate new tastes and sounds.” Of course, we now know only one more solo album would follow, 1976’s “Brother Jukebox.”

Side 1:
Melody Train
Jack Daniels Old No. 7
Warmin’ Up The Band
Helpless When You’re Gone
Did It Rain

Side 2:
Brand New Rock & Roll Band
Takin’ Shots
The Way You Remain
Evelyn Swing
Southern California

“Brother Jukebox” (the album) - Don Everly solo. Released in 1976 in the U.S. (April 1977 in the UK) as AH 440003 on the Hickory label. It was Don’s third and final solo album. "Never Like This" was included on the UK release only. In 1975 Don had moved back to Nashville, and in 1976, to the surprise of many considering the acrimonious split in the early 60s from his one-time manager, he signed again with Wesley Rose and all differences were put behind them: Wesley Rose produced the album. Don told biographer Roger White: “Wesley’s always been a sort of father figure in my life. We’ve always been good friends and it just seemed the right thing to do. I’m always one of those persons who go on impulse.”

Details in regard to each track are unknown but musicians on the "Brother Jukebox" album sessions include: Thomas Grady Martin (guitar); Reggie Young (lead guitar); John Lee Christopher Jr. (acoustic guitar); Robert C. Thompson (acoustic guitar); Paul Yandel (guitar); Buddy Gene Emmons (steel guitar); Jerry Stembridge; Chip Young (acoustic guitar); Joe Osborn (bass); Michael L. Leech (bass); Kenneth M. Malone (drums); Larrie Londin (drums); Bobby R. Wood (piano); Tony Migliore (piano); Hargus M. “Pig” Robbins (piano); John Alan Moore (synthesizer - and strings with David Vanderpool, Virginia Christensen, Steven Maxwell Smith, Marilyn Kay Smith); Lea Jane Berinati, Janie Fricke, Ginger Holiday, Bobby Harden, J. Alan Moore, Janine Walker, Dorothy Dillard, William Wright, Louis Nunley (backing vocals). Producer: Wesley Rose.

"Brother Jukebox" is a pure country album and what is immediately apparent is that his singing is so very much more relaxed than on "Sunset Towers." Don has always shown a preference for country music yet initially he wasn’t fully satisfied with the album: “I have to say there was a time I’d never let it be released but Wesley talked me into it. It wasn’t my idea. Surprisingly enough, it comes across as a good album.” It is a true shame that Don never pursued this direction further and eventually split from Wesley once again. Wesley thought that, “He really wants to produce music that is very modern country, more like rock music to me, and it was not really material I thought I could help him with.” At least they were in agreement on this, for Don said, “Again it got difficult to work with so I got myself off that deal.” Still, that deal had resulted in a very fine country album with the autobiographical ‘Turn The Memories Loose Again and ‘Never Like This’ (on the UK release only) the outstanding tracks. "Brother Jukebox" is Don’s best-selling album to date.

Side 1:
Brother Jukebox
Love At Last Sight
So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
Lettin’ Go
Since You Broke My Heart
Never Like This (UK release only)

Side 2:
Deep Water
Yesterday Just Passed My Way Again
Oh I’d Like To Go Away
Oh What A Feeling
Turn The Memories Loose Again
Last update on November 12, 6:27 pm by Mary.
Attachments
More selections:
Last update on November 12, 6:21 pm by Mary.
Attachments

Last update on November 12, 7:48 pm by Mary.
Good Forum, Mary. Don's first solo album is one that I listened to in the evenings when I was far from the maddening crowd [Smile] but it has been a while since I have listened to it. Some of the tracks make me think he was very deep in thought and turmoil about the future of The Everly Brothers when he did this album. I thought if I concentrated on them in the evenings I could decipher what his turmoil might have been but I guess I have to admit it might have been the split.

The others are totally delightful. Several of Don's tracks exhibit his wide voice range. And it got better, as did Phil's, by the time they reunited for the Reunion Concert.
Lenore
I found this blog about Don's first solo album. Not a long one; wish more people would have participated.
Attachments
Lenore